Adding 2nd house battery rewiring.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadsteve

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my 2nd house/starting battery installed along with the 36v lifepo4 tm battery. Hardest part was getting the 10feet of 4ga wire from the battery in my center console to the back of the boat. My boat has channels for wire and hoses but they were already almost filled to capacity.A fish tape was just barely able to get them through. The area where everything is tied into the blue seas dual bus bar is still a bit of a mess. There are a lot of wires for all the accessories. I'll spend some time with zipties and a label maker one day to tidy it up a bit more. I did get most of the center console wiring cleaned up. I mounted a piece of pvc board for the breakers and onboard charger inside the console. Let me tell you a 6ft2 215lb man doesn't fit well inside that tiny center console. As you can see by the pics there is a awfull lot of wiring on this boat. I'll be glad to have a true master power switch now no more things getting turned on from a bump in the road while trailering. Why xpress wouldn't have don't that from the factory is beyond me. I've never owned a boat with this many accessories wired in...it was a bit daunting looking at all those wires and lord help me if I ever need to replace any of the pumps buried under all that wiring but it's done. Time for a beer or three.

Attachments

• 20240305_122355.jpg
    20240305_122355.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240305_122322.jpg
    20240305_122322.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240305_122523.jpg
    20240305_122523.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240305_122515.jpg
    20240305_122515.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 0
I was under the hood of the North River yesterday to get some ideas for placement of the TM batteries, on-board charger and network hub. The wiring isn't a birds nest like yours but it does need some clean up like breakers at the batteries, and removal assorted inline fuses that are hidden around the boat. Also, the added on lead acid house battery in the bilge area isn’t anchored.

Also found about 20 holes that I intend to weld closed. Will hold off until next winter and remove the decking and fuel tank before firing up the welder. Something about boats seems to attract guys with drills.

Flatheadsteve, It’s not always fun cleaning up boats that previous owners may modified but, I really would have expected the manufacturer Xpress to do a more professional wiring job.

I was under the hood of the North River yesterday to get some ideas for placement of the TM batteries, on-board charger and network hub. The wiring isn't a birds nest like yours but it does need some clean up like breakers at the batteries, and removal assorted inline fuses that are hidden around the boat. Also, the added on lead acid house battery in the bilge area isn’t anchored.

Also found about 20 holes that I intend to weld closed. Will hold off until next winter and remove the decking and fuel tank before firing up the welder. Something about boats seems to attract guys with drills.

Flatheadsteve, It’s not always fun cleaning up boats that previous owners may modified but, I really would have expected the manufacturer Xpress to do a more professional wiring job.
Mass produced just like anything else these days. They used the proper wiring,breakers and fuses where they should be atleast lol. You would be surprised what I saw when looking at new boats. How much of it was the manufacturer and how much of it was the dealer adding accessories? Hard to say

I kind of laughed when I read your comment about accessing the console. My wiring would probably be a lot neater if I didn't feel like a contortionist getting my arms and head up under my boat's console. Haha.
My center console has about 16" between it and the leaning post I have to lay on my side and shove my head and arms through the console door. Whoever managed to squeeze 3 group 27s and a 3 bank charger in there originally with all that wiring and the hoses from the livewell must have been a contortionist or a horse jockey in a former life.