Busted or Missing Corner Cap? Have a Mig Welder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
I've wanted a TIG welder for awhile, but can't justify spending money for something I don't really need. After all, I could take stuff to my local welder, and they will fix it, usually for less than $100.

Then they stopped taking on small work. Somewhere along the line, I picked up a cheap MIG welder for $100. My first wire-feed machine, and it's FAST! I really like it. Saw a YouTube video about using a MIG with aluminum, and then watched a bunch. Looks do-able, if you use Argon gas. So I tried it, and had some bad welds and some good welds, but eventually did some pretty good repair work. If you mess up, just grind it out and try again!

ANYWAY, my current boat was missing a corner cap, and I see a lot of people looking for corner caps, so I figured I'd share. The cheapest I could find a metal replacement, and it wasn't even exact, was for $160. That seems like a bit much. Since I had to weld the boat anyway, after finishing the transom, I decided to see if I could make a corner cap.

I had some 1-1/2" angle aluminum, so I cut three pieces to fit the area, and tacked them together. Then I took a piece of aluminum sign that I pulled out of a boat, and I cut it out to fill the middle, then I started welding. It looked rough, so I used a flap disk and then filled in a couple of spots and sanded again.

The end result looks pretty decent for some scrap cobbled together:
1687875865335.png

Here is what the underside looks like, so you can see the pieces it's made from. I could clean it up more, but it's solid as-is:

1687876655346.png

It matches the boat pretty well. I'm pretty happy with the end result. Took me almost 2 hours start to finish, and it didn't cost me $160 plus shipping and waiting, hoping it would fit.

1687875984658.png

SO.... If you need a corner cap, and you have a MIG welder, you may be able to just make your own.

I would probably do better if I followed all the recommendations, but the ones that I have found to be crucial were:
  1. You MUST use 100% Argon gas, set to at least 20 CFM, but not more than 30
  2. You MUST use the next size larger tip than the wire. I use .030 wire and a .035 tip with no issue. This keeps it from jamming.
  3. You MUST use more hold back, 3/4"+ from the work. Otherwise the wire will burn back up into the tip and ruin the tip
  4. You MUST turn up the voltage and wire speed and weld FAST. Use a "spray" weld instead of drops.
  5. Practice on scrap before working on the real thing!
I did NOT buy a Teflon or graphite liner, but I did blow it out with my compressor to get any metal dust out of it when switching spools.

There are other tips, and I am a complete novice, but I just wanted to encourage others to give it a try. It's pretty fun and satisfying to do, and it's a nice tool/skill to have in your arsenal.

I've wanted a TIG welder for awhile, but can't justify spending money for something I don't really need. After all, I could take stuff to my local welder, and they will fix it, usually for less than $100.

Then they stopped taking on small work. Somewhere along the line, I picked up a cheap MIG welder for $100. My first wire-feed machine, and it's FAST! I really like it. Saw a YouTube video about using a MIG with aluminum, and then watched a bunch. Looks do-able, if you use Argon gas. So I tried it, and had some bad welds and some good welds, but eventually did some pretty good repair work. If you mess up, just grind it out and try again!

ANYWAY, my current boat was missing a corner cap, and I see a lot of people looking for corner caps, so I figured I'd share. The cheapest I could find a metal replacement, and it wasn't even exact, was for $160. That seems like a bit much. Since I had to weld the boat anyway, after finishing the transom, I decided to see if I could make a corner cap.

I had some 1-1/2" angle aluminum, so I cut three pieces to fit the area, and tacked them together. Then I took a piece of aluminum sign that I pulled out of a boat, and I cut it out to fill the middle, then I started welding. It looked rough, so I used a flap disk and then filled in a couple of spots and sanded again.

View attachment 115324

Here is what the underside looks like, so you can see the pieces it's made from. I could clean it up more, but it's solid as-is:

View attachment 115326

It matches the boat pretty well. I'm pretty happy with the end result. Took me almost 2 hours start to finish, and it didn't cost me $160 plus shipping and waiting, hoping it would fit.

View attachment 115325

SO.... If you need a corner cap, and you have a MIG welder, you may be able to just make your own.

I would probably do better if I followed all the recommendations, but the ones that I have found to be crucial were:
  2. You MUST use the next size larger tip than the wire. I use .030 wire and a .035 tip with no issue. This keeps it from jamming.
  3. You MUST use more hold back, 3/4"+ from the work. Otherwise the wire will burn back up into the tip and ruin the tip
  4. You MUST turn up the voltage and wire speed and weld FAST. Use a "spray" weld instead of drops.
I did NOT buy a Teflon or graphite liner, but I did blow it out with my compressor to get any metal dust out of it when switching spools.

There are other tips, and I am a complete novice, but I just wanted to encourage others to give it a try. It's pretty fun and satisfying to do, and it's a nice tool/skill to have in your arsenal.

You may think of yourself as a novice, but those are pretty nice results. I would be very happy with that.

You may think of yourself as a novice, but those are pretty nice results. I would be very happy with that.

...And THAT is the point, exactly. I AM a novice. I've only repaired one aluminum thing before doing this boat, and the results are still "good enough." And I'm not a good welder, even with steel.

So, others should be able to do something similar. Just remember to have two grinders ready, one with a wire brush and the other with a 32 grit flap disc to remove any bad weld so you can do it again. Give it a shot!

I would be happy with that outcome, a flap disc is great for use on aluminum, I found that out when repairing the leading edge of a jet foot.

Do your best, grind the rest - good words!

Yes, flap discs are great, especially for aluminum. I used to get them from Harbor freight when they went on sale, but recently, I found them at Temu.com. They go on these flash sales for maybe $4.50, but, but the regular prices are good, like $7.99 for a 10-pack. For less than a dollar, they are well worth it! I'll report back if they are any different than regular ones.

Yes sir was working in a F.A.A. repair station as the lead welder over aluminum parts had a bunch of green horns who were having a hard time at it. F.A.A. was coming out to inspect the shop and all the junior guys was sweating it. So I made up this big sign with red letters and posted it were everyone could see. "DO YOUR BEST GRIND THE REST' Shop manger said either the sign goes or you do. Five years later I quit for a better job. Sign is still there from what I have been told. That was over 15 years ago.

View attachment 115324

View attachment 115326

View attachment 115325

This was a very inspiring testament. Thanks for sharing. This is the idea behind me purchasing a mig welder a couple weeks ago. I was lucky and got the Lincoln 180i , brand new , still in the box w/ the tape seal unbroken for $500. cash. I did purchase a teflon liner and had no trouble changing it out. I have it set up w/ an .035 contact tip for running .030 , 5356 wire (slightly stiffer than 4043). I've never welded before but when I had a local welder ad a pcs of 1-1/2" angle to my transom and saw the big ars bubble looking string of welds he arc welded on it. I sanded it down w/ my belt sander and it came out really looking fine. I figured I could do as good as that myself and must have watched the same YouTube video's a you for old school mig welding w/out a spool gun.
Unfortunately, I'm waiting on my new bottle to return filled w/Argon on Thursday before I can try my had at it. But I'm very happy to have heard your advice. It's been a confidence builder in a sea of caution from just about everyone around here.
The job you did on your corner looks wonderful.
Thanks again,
Sincerely ......................

Attachments

• T2 repair angle.jpg
    T2 repair angle.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
  • T3 repair angle sanding.jpg
    T3 repair angle sanding.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
Nice work there…thanks for sharing.

I’m glad you mentioned using an old sign, that way when I looked at the picture I knew what that honeycomb looking pattern is on it. It reminds me of my old Coast Guard Buoy Tender days, because the 3M retro tape we used on buoys & day-boards has that same honeycomb pattern.

I just bought a TIG to work my MVT-1751. I considered a spool gun for my MIG, but I went with the TIG.

How much did it cost for a spool gun for the MIG?

I’m new a welding aluminum, and one thing I have learned is keep it clean. Use acetone to wipe everything down before running a bead, it will weld much better when it’s super clean.

Last edited:
TIG is very nice, and Acetone and a wire brush are definitely your friends! I didn't get a spool gun, just ran aluminum wire, and it's fine for this kind of work. I messed up part of my work, by forgetting to turn the gas on :oops::oops::oops: and worse, being stubborn and not stopping. I eventually figured it out, ground off the terrible stuff, and laid it back decently. Didn't make it perfect, but it's still WAY better than the original welds.

Steph, you will do just fine. Practice on scrap and once you get the settings right, go to work. Remember to move fast and stop if things get to hot, and then restart a few seconds later. You can always go back over it, adding material, and then run a flap disc across it to make it flat. Takes longer than doing it right the first time, but the end results are still good.

TIG is very nice, and Acetone and a wire brush are definitely your friends! I didn't get a spool gun, just ran aluminum wire, and it's fine for this kind of work. I messed up part of my work, by forgetting to turn the gas on :oops::oops::oops: and worse, being stubborn and not stopping. I eventually figured it out, ground off the terrible stuff, and laid it back decently. Didn't make it perfect, but it's still WAY better than the original welds.

Steph, you will do just fine. Practice on scrap and once you get the settings right, go to work. Remember to move fast and stop if things get to hot, and then restart a few seconds later. You can always go back over it, adding material, and then run a flap disc across it to make it flat. Takes longer than doing it right the first time, but the end results are still good.
This is very reassuring to hear you say that. I just picked up my new bottles that have been a week in being filled and returned. (I'm so rural there are no walk-up bottle fill company's w/in and hour & a 1/2 from me)
Anyway, I've actually taken a break from the boat restoration during that time. I cut a place out and added new stairs to the end of my deck w/ shallow steps to help me w/ my disability. The ramp on the front of the deck is fine but i have to walk out from under the 25' carport cover to enter it. Ppl tease me about having to park, or walk out in the rain to walk back up out of the rain into the covered deck that the carport was added on to.
I also needed to get the 16' radial armsaw out of the middle of my second bay and bolted to the south wall, creating more room for parking and/or project builds on that end of the carport. I cut off about a 1-1/2' on each end so now I have a 12-1/2' (RAS), creating all kinds of space. I R&R'd the countertop from puffed up like a spunge MDF to doubled up 3/4" plywood.
I've stayed busy and now that i got my bottles back, I can work on the trailer restoration of the axle and the boat additions in the next couple weeks. The rest of my stickers (boat name, Reg. #) will be printed & ready for pick-up next week. By then I'll have a couple more coats on the boat and all the touch-up done.
I'll start practicing the aluminum mig on scrap pcs soon.
Thank for your generous and very reassuring pcs of advice. I'll keep it in mind and attack this portion of the project w/ a bit more confidence.
Sincerely .......................
God bless.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 0