Need Lots of Help No idea where to start.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megacraig

Reaction score
I will try to keep this short as I'm sure this is the first of what is bound to be many posts here. I just became the owner of a 13 1/2' v-hull aluminum boat no idea year make or model (maybe someone can tell by the pictures) I really would like to build out this boat, subfloor for flat standing surface front and back deck and storage. It has some pretty good dents and "fixes" from the previous owner do any of those look like they would be an issue to anyone?

My current plan feel free to tell me where I'm messing up or what I should add,

1) Strip paint on the outside, smooth out the brown stuff that was used on the center seam possibly put some sort of epoxy to seal it, looks like its cracked but cant tell
2) I'm assuming I need to replace the transom but no idea how or if I need to
3) Paint the outside (this part I can handle lol)
4) Put back on trailer remove benches and add subfloor and framing (this part makes me the most nervous screwing up the boat)
-If I remove the center bench it sounds like it could weaken the boat, if I then add aluminum frame work going up each side like for rod locker or storage, does that give the boat back the structure it loses? I've been watching Tiny Boat Nation videos so I was thinking framing like he did on the 14ft v boat.
5) realized I missed something at some point that a forum points out and do that

I know this boat is in rough shape if anyone is wondering why I'm working with this one, it was my father in laws, he spent almost everyday after retiring on it out on a lake, he also has taken every member of my wife's family out on it at some point or another. He passed while my wife was pregnant it was his first grandchild I want to build out this boat as a great little lake fishing boat to take my kid out that will last a long time. Didn't keep this as short as I was hoping but any input would be great. Thank you

tl:dr Inherited beat up boat want to build into a badass fishing boat for my kids to think of grandpa need lots of input and help.

Attachments

• 20230730_210023.jpg
    20230730_210023.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230423_132836.jpg
    20230423_132836.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230730_210149.jpg
    20230730_210149.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230730_210141.jpg
    20230730_210141.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2
Not sure how they do things in WA -- check the registration for the year and make. Gregor, a California boat company, built welded aluminum boats with a clipper bow similar to yours. But really a wild guess on my part.

My suggestion: Get good at the search function on the forum. Every item you listed has been discussed on the forum within the past three months. I'm not trying to discourage you from posting questions, but using the search function will likely get you an answer much quicker than posting something and then maybe waiting for a while to get an answer.

YouTube is also a great source of information. For example, the number of transom replacement videos is incredible and you're sure to find somebody in a similar situation as yours.

Good luck! I hope you make great memories with your kids.

Are the seating stanchions welded in, or riveted? If riveted, you might look into removing them for the cleanup and repair, shortening them a bit from the top, leaving the bottom untouched, and re-rivet them back in. THEN build your floor right on top of those stanchions. That would give you your flat floor while keeping at least SOME of your rigidity. Then go about building in your gunwale storage boxes. Plan ahead for a solid mounting platform in the flooring for a swivel seat or two. Maybe even a small casting deck up in the bow. Put a battery box under the bow deck so as to balance out the necessary weight(s), and Bob's your uncle.

Just a couple quick ideas from an old guy.....Roger

Finding Tiny Boat Nation is part of the reason I went with an aluminum boat for my first boat. He's got videos on transom replacement. Yes, removing the center seat will weaken it structurally, but building the framing correctly will bring the strength back and possibly more (CORRECTLY is the key word). Flex the boat from the side before and after will tell you if it's done right. And putting the pour foam in will help with that as well.
Do some more research and get the boat tight and right. Don't rush the build and risk it being unsafe!

HI, Craig,
Welcome, a semi newbie here, I have had a few boats and still learning. Just did some small repairs on one and just did a gutting of 14ft. an reinstall of foam floor etc. can give you a couple what not to-do! lol! But seriously this is a good site great guys and lady's and will def help you out and steer you in right direction!

What kind of outboard do you plan to hang on the back? Use of a jack plate? Those are considerations when it comes to how far you plan to build it out… Also, I strongly suggest flotation foam in the rebuild… Good luck! We’ll look forward too updates!