Opinions needed on this rig.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems I bought the boat you were/are looking for. 1974 16' Mirrocraft with a 2002 2 stroke 25hp Mercury. I just got new boat numbers for it yesterday. I had the engine completely serviced. I really wanted a 16' vs anything smaller or bigger. I wanted something simpler this time than the other boats I have owned. Getting ready to retire in a year or two and will put this to good use. Paid $3k for it as it sits in the picture.
Nice work, yes a little get me around. Something to explore new waters for me and get me back in the game. Something not too substantial if I get stuck in the mud I can paddle out, crank her up and head home.

That may be a good boat but I'd have a tough time swallowing the $20k price tag for any 16ft 60hp boat.

I've never paid that much for a boat and never will. Most of my boats were bought for under $500, and most were turn key.

The reality of that boat is that its 5 years old, has a 'no longer made' motor with an unknown future when it comes to parts or service.
I actually have a hard time wanting to own any motor that I can't work on myself without having to deal with a dealer. Evinrude dealers are few and far between, and most have now taken on new franchises or closed up altogether around here.

As far as reputation, they're good motors when they're running properly but that can be said of any motor.
Those who I've known first hand, who were all die hard Evinrude fans, didn't keep their long and soon dumped them or traded them in. Some had issues getting issues resolved from day one, a few had early failures, a few just were never happy with the motor.
Most have been happier with Yamaha four strokes, but brand wise, its what's most commonly available here.

I think if it were me, I'd be more interested in that boat sans the motor altogether so I could hang a 4 stroke on it, but price wise, they're way high. That boat around here is $10-$12k tops and even then it may not sell.
Book value goes by area as well, when I look it up here I get $20,550 as the original price and $8,995 to $11,200 for a retail value.
The seller is likely hoping to find someone who doesn't know any better.

From past experience, no one sells a boat that's perfect or one that needs nothing. They sell a boat when its either too much trouble to own, too hard to get parts for, or it needs work. Even if someone dies, someone always wants the boat and it doesn't get sold. Its a rare occasion that any boat for sale is truly turn key, so your best way to look at any deal is to pay accordingly and be ready to fix what ever issue that made them sell it.

Nice work, yes a little get me around. Something to explore new waters for me and get me back in the game. Something not too substantial if I get stuck in the mud I can paddle out, crank her up and head home.
That is what I wanted too. Good setup and not too much to deal with and little cash invested. Light enough to handle on my own but still get to the places I want. The Texas sun hopefully won't have as much affect on it either.

That's pretty much why I have my Mirrocraft, its simple, can be manhandled if need be, and can be towed with anything.

I downsized in a way from a twin console Starcraft, of which I had many over the years, but they weigh just enough that if I got one stuck, I can't lift it and get it unstuck, and they needed way more HP. A 70hp two stroke was the minimum if you wanted any sort of speed.
My open bench seat/side console Mirrocraft on the other hand flies with a 35hp Johnson on it and I have no concerns taking it anywhere, even up small streams and such, if it gets shallow, I can always get it free and get going again.
After getting stuck in mud a few times upstream on a few creeks and rivers, and not being as mobile as I once was, I went back to a 16ft Mirrocraft Lake Fisherman, the wide beam and 20" transom make for a very versatile boat with only a motor and side console to maintain. I've had my current one for many years, but I don't think I paid more than $400 for it, boat, motor, and trailer.

I really don't think I'd want to deal with the complexities of the Etech motor or would I want a motor I couldn't work on 100% by myself. I suppose they can run good but I've heard too many horror stories about having to pay a dealer to fix them when they break down. I like being able to just clean out the carb and maybe change a filter to get a motor going again. The Etech is just not a DIY friendly motor for the average guy, especially if it breaks down while out on the water.

I just left the Hackensack Yacht club. No docking, but did gather some Info on the river and area. If I went with a bigger boat they'd store it, but you have to become a member, donate time etc.

Take your time and think it out. If you really love that boat, make an offer. They can only say yes or no.

I don't know how heavy that boat is, but the Nadaguides site should say, if you look up that boat and click on the "Specifications" tab.

The Spectrum I pictured above is very useful. It actually bumped my beloved Princecraft. I never thought I would sell that boat, but I did, a few weeks ago. Kind of sad, but this new boat really does tick all the boxes. It's a little heavier, but not much. It has better seating, more room, a better layout, more protection from the elements and is more family-friendly. The only real negative is carpet that must be kept clean, and it's an older boat.

The big difference betwen our boats is that I got mine almost free, but put many hours rebuilding it. I have about $950 in materials and probably $2k of labor in it, so I'm all-in at about $3,500.

Would I pay $3500 for it as-is, no labor? Heck yeah! I'd probably pay $5,000 as it is now, knowing how solid it is, inside and out.

You are looking at 4X the cost, but also at a very nice boat with good resale value.

If I were in your situation, I would be searching online like a maniac and I would find a deal I felt good about. Then I would go see it in person, and look carefully before pulling the trigger. That way, there are no regrets.

Resized_20231008_110826.jpeg

That's pretty much why I have my Mirrocraft, its simple, can be manhandled if need be, and can be towed with anything.

I downsized in a way from a twin console Starcraft, of which I had many over the years, but they weigh just enough that if I got one stuck, I can't lift it and get it unstuck, and they needed way more HP. A 70hp two stroke was the minimum if you wanted any sort of speed.
My open bench seat/side console Mirrocraft on the other hand flies with a 35hp Johnson on it and I have no concerns taking it anywhere, even up small streams and such, if it gets shallow, I can always get it free and get going again.
After getting stuck in mud a few times upstream on a few creeks and rivers, and not being as mobile as I once was, I went back to a 16ft Mirrocraft Lake Fisherman, the wide beam and 20" transom make for a very versatile boat with only a motor and side console to maintain. I've had my current one for many years, but I don't think I paid more than $400 for it, boat, motor, and trailer.

I really don't think I'd want to deal with the complexities of the Etech motor or would I want a motor I couldn't work on 100% by myself. I suppose they can run good but I've heard too many horror stories about having to pay a dealer to fix them when they break down. I like being able to just clean out the carb and maybe change a filter to get a motor going again. The Etech is just not a DIY friendly motor for the average guy, especially if it breaks down while out on the water.
It all boils down to how it will be used and what is really needed. Owned a 22' Islander with 140 hp I/O...great boat loved it ! Then life changed, wife became dissabled, family moved away, found myself being alone on my fishing trips. Sold the Islander and bought a 16' Sylvan with a 40 hp two stroke Merc....big enough for the big lake on nice days, yet can easily be handled by myself. Mine is a side console, like the extra floor space, yet have a windshield when needed. Couldn't ask for anything better to fit my needs.
Shop carefully and don't get carried away with that like new feeling as they loose value quickly. Make sure you can fix or have affordable access to someone that can fix what you buy.

@Crazyboat -- It really is a nice boat and would be good for a family ride and/or fishing. On the other hand, you have expressed some doubts. When I feel that way, it usually means I should wait for something I'm sure about. Also important, Is it the price or is it issues with the boat (etec?) that gives you pause. If the latter, I would keep looking. If not and the price were right, would you want it? If yes, then make the offer you think it is worth to you and walk away if they say no. Like @thill says, you should see a lot of pretty nice boats in that price range.

I'm a little late to the party, but if you're still looking for opinions, No way in H E L L. Maybe for half that price, but prob not. I got better things to spend my money on and can easily find something comparable for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less money. Not only that it's January. Bargain hunting season.

Don't throw any more money in that hole in the water then you have to.

One thing I will say about price... Once you decide and throw your money down, don't look back! Just enjoy the heck out of your boat and use it as often as you can.

That's why searching well beforehand is so important.

In your shoes, I would consider a brand-new boat. You can negotiate hard with dealers, financing is better, and you can sell it for a premium in a few years if you don't use as much as you hoped.

My brother would regularly negotiate hard to buy a new car for the best price possible when they first come out, run it hard for a year, and then sell it during the same model year for almost the same as he paid.

Not my cup of tea, but he makes a lot more than I do. But I still have my hair, and he's as bald as a cue-ball, hahaha!

One thing I will say about price... Once you decide and throw your money down, don't look back! Just enjoy the heck out of your boat and use it as often as you can.

That's why searching well beforehand is so important.

In your shoes, I would consider a brand-new boat. You can negotiate hard with dealers, financing is better, and you can sell it for a premium in a few years if you don't use as much as you hoped.

My brother would regularly negotiate hard to buy a new car for the best price possible when they first come out, run it hard for a year, and then sell it during the same model year for almost the same as he paid.

Not my cup of tea, but he makes a lot more than I do. But I still have my hair, and he's as bald as a cue-ball, hahaha!
Now is the time of year to haggle with boat dealers. Especially on left over 2023 rigs. Don't be afraid of driving a few hrs for the right deal either. Last year I drove 3hrs to buy a left over 2022. The $5k reduction in price more than made up for the tank of diesel in the pickup.

Family and I made a trip out of a Sea Trial this past week. We flew to Indiana and my wife got to meet a half sister she hasn't seen in 45 years. That was good to see, always good to meet family and good people. However the sea trial didn't go as well. It's half my fault for wishing a hull design would be a fit, but it wasn't to be. On the hard the boat looked fine, good size, 24' long, 8'4" wide, but the bow and gunnels were low and that spells catastrophe in my part of the world. As soon as they wet the hull I saw how it sat and knew it wasn't good. Under power it just got worse. She was quick, toping out at 43+ MPH with 5 up, but no matter what I did I could not get her to squat and ride with a bow high attitude. No way I could take this boat out in blue water and even the bays near me would have me stuffing the bow and taking on water.

A good learning experience for sure. My wife has all but convinced me to live it up on this next purchase and go all in. I'll keep you all posted on what this adventure turns into. But the budget has gone from a 5K tin boat, to a 25K family fisher, to a 60K catamaran to now touching 180K for a 25' open water gem with all the bells and whistles.

Family and I made a trip out of a Sea Trial this past week. We flew to Indiana and my wife got to meet a half sister she hasn't seen in 45 years. That was good to see, always good to meet family and good people. However the sea trial didn't go as well. It's half my fault for wishing a hull design would be a fit, but it wasn't to be. On the hard the boat looked fine, good size, 24' long, 8'4" wide, but the bow and gunnels were low and that spells catastrophe in my part of the world. As soon as they wet the hull I saw how it sat and knew it wasn't good. Under power it just got worse. She was quick, toping out at 43+ MPH with 5 up, but no matter what I did I could not get her to squat and ride with a bow high attitude. No way I could take this boat out in blue water and even the bays near me would have me stuffing the bow and taking on water.

A good learning experience for sure. My wife has all but convinced me to live it up on this next purchase and go all in. I'll keep you all posted on what this adventure turns into. But the budget has gone from a 5K tin boat, to a 25K family fisher, to a 60K catamaran to now touching 180K for a 25' open water gem with all the bells and whistles.
What boat did you sea trial?

https://www.splendorboats.com/sunstar/239-sunstar

Don't misunderstand my post. I wouldn't really take this out an inlet, but we get 3 footers in the bay here all the time. Even at 1,500 RPM the hull did not squat much to enable the bow to maintain a high attitude. This boat, as big as it is, is meant for nice lake boat riding.
Kinda reminds me of the old hurricane deck boats. Those didn't do well in choppy water either.

N0 thanks, 800 hours and 8 years. Not going to show like new. Plus 600 HP will drink too much fuel for me. I'm pushing my comfort level @ 300 HP, Thanks for looking for me.

Right now centered on Sea Ray, Regal Four Winns type bow riders in the 24'-27' range. Big enough to go out the inlet on a nice day.