New Member Introductions!

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
daveintexas

Re: New Member Introductions!

Post by daveintexas » 06 Jul 2019, 12:10

@thedude
Hey neighbor! My son and I are both residents of the Dallas area.

BTW I like your avatar, the BL has always been one of my fav JB movies!

RazorBaits
Scoter

Post by Scoter » 08 Jul 2019, 13:40

Hey guys; glad I found this forum! I'm 45 years old, teach Middle school in Rowan County, NC. I have had an aluminum boat in my life for as long as I can remember. The first was a 10 foot jonboat with a 5 hp Gamefisher Sears motor, moved from there to a Mirrocraft 14 with a 9.9. Then I got into duck hunting and fishing the Pamlico Sound of NC so in 2008 I bought a SeaArk 2072 hull and trailer. Put a rebuilt Johnson 90 on the back, put a floor and console in myself. It has been a tank and because I didn't buy the package boat with the extended deck and livewells I have about 8 feet of open space in front of the console, and a short 4' front deck. Well, after 11 years of smoking, coughing, choking, and wondering if she would start on below-freezing mornings I finally broke down and bought a 2015 Yamaha f115 fourstroke for her last week. Got it up to 46 mph yesterday at 6200 rpm with my buddy's Yamaha SST 17 pitch prop, though it is most comfortable running 30 or so at 4k rpm.
Still a couple of months of catching redfish, specled trout, and flounder before duck season rolls around again.

FLBASSGUY

Post by FLBASSGUY » 14 Jul 2019, 10:57

Hello new guy on board. Long time fisherman and retired fishing guide. Cancelled my ticket 2 years ago and left the saltwater arena. Now fish mostly for bass out of my redneck canoe.
Could not be happier avoiding the crowded crazy launch ramps and the peace and quiet of fishing for big bass here in SW Florida. I mainly target smaller ponds/lakes and canals that get minimal fishing pressure. Catch some nice big bass out of the canals that abut my back yard.
The canoe is great for 1 man fishing but leaves a lot to be desired for fishing 2 anglers. I need something more stable to take my 10 year old grandson and/or wife that 2 people can stand up in (or pedestal seats) and safely fish. My life of fishing had previously revolved around large center console fiberglass boats with a myriad of flats and offshore boats in the mix over the years from Guam to Newport RI to Boca Grande FL.
My disclaimer: I know very little about aluminum hull boats and need a lot of help selecting the right setup for my needs. There are a ton of small ponds, lakes and miles of freshwater canals where I live loaded with bass, sunfish, cats, etc. and I would like something trailerable about 14ft capable of using a motor of 10hp or less and set up to comfortably fish 2 people. I'm leaning towards a welded hull and am capable of doing some minor customization but would prefer it ready to roll. I have no need for a live well as I am done with the fishing tournament headaches. I would like to keep the price below 10K if feasible.

FLBASSGUY

Post by FLBASSGUY » 18 Jul 2019, 18:55

mountainhawk

Post by mountainhawk » 24 Jul 2019, 14:23

Glad to be a part of this forum! I am 35 and just decided to one day start looking for an aluminum boat. I found and picked up a 12' wards sea king for 100 bucks. I am currently brazing the few pin hole leaks and cracks. I decided to up my fishing game by purchasing this boat. I plan on getting this boat lake worthy before my next vacation in September. We will see what the future holds. I live in the san Bernardino mountains in southern California, at 6200 feet elevation. My two closest waters by me are big bear lake, and Silverwood lake. I am glad I have stumbled upon this site for research and reference and who knows what else can come my way! Thanks for accepting me in to this community Jim!
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance!

senkosam

Post by senkosam » 05 Aug 2019, 08:03

Frank (Senkosam aka Spoonminnow) introducing myself.
70 years old; been fishing and boating most of my life.
Have 3 kids, 6 grandkids.
Post extensively on different fishing forums (crappie.com, sdfish.com, northeastbass.com, etc.)
Own 15' Guman canoe, 11.5' Sear's Jon boat, 10' Lowes V bottom and a 1995 Ranger bass boat (use the 10' the most)
Fish mostly to test lures I make or design in my basement workshop and found many catch any all species.
Smoked a pipe since I was 21.
Digital photography is a must and I post catches and lures used.
Born and lived in NY all my life.
Enlisted in the service in 1970, discharged after 4 years. (luckily orders for Vietnam were canceled at the last moment)
Last edited by senkosam on 09 Sep 2019, 10:16, edited 2 times in total.

NVswitch

Post by NVswitch » 22 Aug 2019, 21:01

New member to this Board

Live and fish the Reno, NV area
Mainly fly fishing
Have had other boats in the past including an aluminum drift boat.
Just purchase a 16’ Grizzly Tracker with 30 hp Merc motor
Looking forward to creating a small fly fishing skiff

Mike

Soriedem

Post by Soriedem » 29 Aug 2019, 00:36

Finally talked my wife into letting me get my first boat! It's an 87 mirrocraft Troller 16ft.

Currently setup for two people to fish but going to do some work on it to get it setup for my family (2 small kids and 2 adults). It has a 20 HP Envirude, wIth the kids being young, may try to see if I can pull them on a tube and / or skis. Not sure if the motor has enough power but only time will tell.

Current plans are to add two more seats for the kids and clean it up a little. Over the winter / early spring the goal is to get the setup better and maybe even paint it. Will post along the way with whatever I do.

Pector55

Post by Pector55 » 09 Sep 2019, 09:51

Good morning all,

I'm in South Central PA and over the past 12 years I have had quite a few floating fishing platforms to get my son out fishing. We did kayaks at first, then has a 10ft jon, then up to an old Bass Tracker until I finally went up to a small 16ft fishing pontoon.

My son has moved away so I sold my pontoon in favor of getting something that I can run in more of the electric only lakes in my area. I live 10 min away from one. I picked up an old 1989 Alumacraft Lunker LTD (16'5") that had a wooden deck bolted onto it. I am starting a full restore on it to remove the wooden casting decks to lighten the boat and put in some aluminum framed storage. I also want 2 pedestal seats bolted on a floor so that I can take my 85 yr old step dad out for some comfortable fishing. I don't want him sitting up on a casting deck.

I just got started and I'm taking pics. I will do thread on the build as I go.