typed by ben's 2001 Lowe 1648M all aluminum build (UD 6/27)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i want to add some deeper info and observation about applying the tuff coat since i used a spray gun, and to me it was an intimidating method as there is very little first person information about applying it.

1. as with any coating i believe in good prep for a good application. because some of my application was bare metal i sanded EVERYTHING first with a palm random orbit sander and an 80 grit disc. that gave all the surfaces pretty even bite. then i wiped down everything in the boat with disposable red shop towels and a little bit of mineral spirits.

2. next came etch primer, again because of bare metal. tuffcoat will tell you to use their special primer but i consulted their tech support and found out just about any etch primer would do. etch primer is just what it sounds like- primer with a little acid in it that physically etches the surface material that you apply it to to make it stick better. this is what you want on bare metal; tuffcoat sticks to the primer and the primer sticks to the metal.

3. conventional body prep wisdom will tell you to sand after the primer but i dont believe its necessary here. were not trying to get a glassy surface- just the opposite in fact. but you do want to be sure that your tuffcoat sticks. i used disposable shop towels and mineral spirits after the etch primer had cured a few days- this wiped up the significant overspray dust i encountered.

GUN AND COMPRESSOR INFO

first you need a decent compressor setup. mine is 28 gallons and was JUST BARELY big enough to do the job without running all the time. you could go a little smaller but results would not be as good, as the compressor would heat up and start giving you a lot of water out of the nozzle.

i installed a filter/regulator assembly with a gauge- usually about $20 at a home improvement store. the water separator part was critical to me because of the wet air issue i mentioned above. the regulator part is nice to have because the gun you use only needs about 50 PSI to spray correctly- so if you regulate before the gun all you have to do is pull the trigger.20140922_211241.jpg

here's the gun. its called a "texture" or "hopper" gun. it was $25 from harbor freight. all things considered its actually kind of nice. it comes with three nozzles and i used the smallest. 20140922_202328.jpg20140922_202334.jpg

i added this $6 regulator ball valve to work as a local shutoff for the gun, because if you dont have it- the gun will be spewing air ALL THE TIME. thats a big tax on smaller compressors, and also just annoying.20140922_202356.jpg

TUFFCOAT APPLICATION INFO

items i needed other than the gun and tuffcoat:
a 5 gallon bucket half full of warm water (for gun and peripheral cleanup)
a utility paint brush (to clean out the hopper)
a grout mixer
a drill motor
a nuisance mask to prevent you from breathing in overspray

1. mixing is critical. i had the thought of asking if i could throw it in a hardware store paint shaker but i dont know if the rubber crumb would respond to that. i used this grout mixer in a drill motor instead. after a couple of minutes on low speed, moving the mixer up and down should get you a brownie batter like consistency with crumb evenly distributed and even tint.20140922_211303.jpg

2. a little goes a long way. my first tack coat was probably 1/4 gallon, and over all i used about half what i estimated.

3. put a few oz worth in the hopper. yes just a few- you will be moving the gun all about and you dont want product spilling out the top, like it did to me. i filled it less than 1/4 of the height of the hopper, which was still plenty of product to work with

4. set up a test piece of the same orientation and size as your application. i used a refrigerator box flattened on the ground. at this point i regulated my air pressure from the compressor to 45 lbs.

the test piece was critical for me as i had ever used a spray gun AT ALL. it gives you a little confidence on the trigger, and you will need to set up your flow rate in any case. pull the trigger and product will be spraying out- i set mine up by starting with the flow knob all the way closed, then gave it a full turn back open. worked great. the gun will make a sound about like a dentists suction or a coffee brewer- the sound of even pressure with a regular even gurgle to it.

5. spray in a tight circular motion, like little curly-qs. that will make your texture more even compared to a straight line- although with this product it probably doesnt matter that much.

6. after a very light first coat, i waited 15 minutes between each subsequent coat. that was about enough time to check for errors and spills, remix the tuffcoat, and pour into the hopper.

7. remove your masking while the tuffcoat is still wet. its your best bet to get a clean line.

8. clean your gun with warm clean water. its a simple gun so theres not a lot of disassembly. afterwards, i shot about a half a hopper of warm water from the gun to make sure it was clean again.

THE RUBBER CRUMB GETS EVERYWHERE. it sticks to your skin, gets in your hair, in your shirt, in every nook and cranny you didnt know about. dont apply this in a place you dont want to be "traction advantaged". i sprayed it in my garage and that was a mistake. the crumb does sweep up easily, to its credit, and there was little overspray.

this video will help explain some of the concepts i had to learn on the fly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-eOjnWwRtw

all in all it was not a technically difficult way to apply the coating, and the finished product looks better than rolling. i followed the manufacturers instructions more or less, and did some research.

the ball valve on the gun and mixer were parts i could not complete this project without.

That is exactly how I prepped and applied my Tuffcoat and I love it. I went extra heavy and shot five coats (4 gallons) then ordered another gallon of the base without the rubber crumbs and brushed a thick coat over it all and it turned out beautiful and tough. I like the fact that it can be touched up if you accidentally drop something heavy on it that has corners "like a jack plate"...

Ben- your tin is looking great, man. I really like the green tuffcoat. Looks sweet! I am jealous of all those hatches- would love to add a little more storage to mine.

tullymars said:
Ben- your tin is looking great, man. I really like the green tuffcoat. Looks sweet! I am jealous of all those hatches- would love to add a little more storage to mine.
thank you. im really happy with how it turned out as well. just wish i could spend more time using it!

Everything looks great Ben. =D>
I bet your awfully happy to finally be able to enjoy it.

Make sure you take some time to enjoy it while it's still nice out for the next month or two.

hey it wasnt without its issues. the gas motor has been acting a fool but the important stuff (water intrusion and electrical soundness) has been flawless. knock on wood.

Glad to see you finally getting the boat wet :LOL2:. Hope you have a lot of great times with it.

Latest posts