1967 14' sea nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank91

Reaction score
Hi there. Newbie to site. Recently bought 14' sea nymph with my 16 year old nephew. Kid loves to fish and so do I. Have never owned aluminum boat before and am lookin into makin a few modification. Nothing big, deck up front and in back and maybe a plywood floor. I am a carpenter by trade so of course I want to use wood for everything. LOL. I am curious about how to fasten my framing to boat. I just want to extend decks at same height of bench seating so it will be above water line. I will need to fasten aluminum angle in several places to support my framing. Are rivets the best way to go? If so, what kind? Do I need to seal them with anything? Is it ok for for wood to touch directly to boat? I've heard that is a bad idea. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,184
Ended up taken a few pointers from other builds on this site and spent a weekend with nephew putting front deck on boat. Happy with how it turned out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,069
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,069
firstresponder01 said:
what kind of wood should I use? if not pressure treated then just regular wood and seal it myself?
You want an exterior grade plywood it's made with waterproof glue, look for the X in the grade designation. ACX, ABX, ACX, ADX, BCX.

2x2 and 2x4 should be fine, just seal all sides with spar varnish before assembly. Same for plywood. Some people also use polyester resin like you use when you do fiberglass. If you do need to anchor through the hull with screws (stainless steel!) or rivits (aluminum), seal the outside with gluvit or coat-it. There is lots of info on the board in regards to sealing rivets / hull holes with these and other products. Good Luck!

Latest posts