V hull question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebluecat

Reaction score
Not new to boats but newbie here. Just got a 16 ft Fisher that's been pretty much gutted. Question....when i redo the boat i don't want a bench seat running from one side to the other.So will i need to brace some kind of way to keep sides from flexing too much? Thanks.

The simple answer is yes. Are you planing on removing all the bench seats or just a middle bench? There are several options you can use when removing bench seats, pics of the boat and your plans would help.

And :WELCOME: thanks for joining

mikebluecat said:
Not new to boats but newbie here. Just got a 16 ft Fisher that's been pretty much gutted. Question....when i redo the boat i don't want a bench seat running from one side to the other.So will i need to brace some kind of way to keep sides from flexing too much? Thanks.
Are you sure it's been gutted and not the way it came from the factory? Fisher makes some models that are really open. I mean, really..... open. :lol:

JMichael said:
mikebluecat said:
Are you sure it's been gutted and not the way it came from the factory? Fisher makes some models that are really open. I mean, really..... open. :lol:

took the words right out of my mouth,,,,,,,,have a 80s something 13 ft Fisher myself ,,,,, all depends on the ribs , how many, how their braced, how heavy, full length to and attached to the gunnel and also the size/how strong the gunnel is,,,,, got any pics

Attachments

• IMG_4148 (1200 x 900).jpg
    IMG_4148 (1200 x 900).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,178
I have a 1989 16ft fisher. There are not any bench seats, just a forward platform and aluminum deck. Nice thing about fisher (at least mine) is it is all aluminum, no wood deck to rot.
Tim

Thanks for all the replies. Everything was already removed when i got it yesterday.After a closer look today i don't think any of the "benches" went completely across. May just add a stronger "rib" near the middle and leave it at that. Or may add a livewell near the middle and tie it into the extra rib low to the floor. i like a wide open boat so i think will work ok. One nice bonus was finding the aluminum floor under the carpet.thought it was going to be wood,so that was a nice find.Will be pulling that out soon to see what's under that. Thanks again.

mikebluecat said:
thought it was going to be wood,so that was a nice find.Will be pulling that out soon to see what's under that. Thanks again.
My guess would be that you're going to "see" some water logged foam. I removed about 185 lbs from mine and put about 8 lbs of dry foam in it's place. Boat runs a lot faster and planes a lot quicker without that 180 lbs or so of water under the floor. :mrgreen:

Be sure you reinstall all the little gussets/braces on the ribs where the floor and sides join together. You can see them in the pictures everyone has posted.

mikebluecat said:
Thanks for all the replies. Everything was already removed when i got it yesterday.After a closer look today i don't think any of the "benches" went completely across. May just add a stronger "rib" near the middle and leave it at that. Or may add a livewell near the middle and tie it into the extra rib low to the floor. i like a wide open boat so i think will work ok. One nice bonus was finding the aluminum floor under the carpet.thought it was going to be wood,so that was a nice find.Will be pulling that out soon to see what's under that. Thanks again.

Take pictures, interested in how its laid out. Mine may be very similiar.
Tim

riverbud55 said:
JMichael said:
mikebluecat said:

took the words right out of my mouth,,,,,,,,have a 80s something 13 ft Fisher myself ,,,,, all depends on the ribs , how many, how their braced, how heavy, full length to and attached to the gunnel and also the size/how strong the gunnel is,,,,, got any pics

I need those pedestal seat boxes!!!! Any chance you bought them after the fact and if so can you tell me where you found them?

Winston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts