1968 (?) 15' Richline V-Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
I bought this boat, motor & trailer for $600 last week. Motor started on first crank. My plan is to add a couple of decks and a floor as time/work allows. I can't seem to find anything on the motor other than a Manual serial number to find out exactly what year it is so maybe someone here can help?

The Boat:
2r7uhaf.jpg

Motor:
2rhaeqe.jpg

Before Teardown:
2dc7588.jpg

After:
35k3nep.jpg

4snxog.jpg

fxq6xh.jpg

I've been looking around for some ideas and found a few here. I plan to strip all the paint from this boat, seal every seam and rivet, repaint before I ever put it in the water. Prob will do the same to the motor, replace the vitals (Impeller, Plugs, etc.) repaint it. Gonna take me a minute but it should be fun. Input welcomed, links to info, other v bottom builds, anything that will help or give me ideas. Thanks.

Trailer:

2sdvp.jpg

2z5ofx4.jpg

Stripping Paint has started:

296ksv5.jpg

Whatever this stuff is, it's very unforgiving...kinda looks like roofing tar...?

2efkwle.jpg

sebp8y.jpg

I have decided that this IS roofing tar. Smells like it, feels like it...

IMG_20160828_133434_304_zpseguxit5a.jpg

Made some more progress today, I'm having to scrape the real thick parts away then using a soft wire brush on my drill I can remove the rest of it:

IMG_20160828_132614_783_zpsynk7t6rt.jpg

IMG_20160828_132643_570_zps4k2ggyfc.jpg

My plan here is to either use an Aluminum brazing rod to fill in this seam or maybe use some JB Weld to fill it in before I paint it.

Thanks. I will probably end up using the rods, that way (Hopefully) it will be permanent. Taking my time with this (As time allows) so I can actually get it done the way I want.

Don't use heat along the seam. There is usually a sealer that will burn out and cause more leaks.

My plan for the boat (I stole ideas from others here, hope you don't mind):

vbottom%20plan_zpslpgiohxo.jpg

What you don't see is flotation. There will be flotation under the floor, in and around all storage and in both benches. This plan may change as I go along with the build. The storage areas you see on the sides, I may run them from front to back.

Nice boat. I've got a 14 ft one just like it. Not sure what the black stuff is but mine had it also. Must be some type of sealant the factory used.

Looks like you've got a good plan. Keep us informed.

Why not just go along those edges with 5200 or some flexible marine sealant? Run a bead right along that edge like the corners of a bathtub. It will flex with the boat and can be replaced easily if needed. Less mess.....

RStewart, I have your build bookmarked.

sonny.barile, I plan to use something on the inside of the boat like that to fill in the seam and cover the rivets. I was trying to use something on the outside more Durable I guess you could say, I figured the inside would see less friction because of water or debris than the outside.

sonny.barile: All good, those are on the outside :wink:

Crazyboat: The motor is a 25HP

I'm planning on cutting the middle bench down each side and across the top of the drain hole.

IMG_20160825_zpsoecdzcab.jpg

Hopefully this will help to keep the some of the side strength plus add some bracing for the floor.

No...actual size is 14' 6 3/8". I'm guessing they didn't want to add all those numbers on the registration so they just rounded up. I am thinking about trading a 4 wheeler I have here for a 14' flat bottom with a 20 hp johnson. Only saw pics of it so far. Looks like a pretty nice boat.

My middle bench was already out of mine & the way I ran the 2x4s to support the floor it also adds strength to the boat front to back & using the factory side supports on the front & back benches supports the sides plenty.

Got my first coat on the bottom.

Before
IMG_20161023_125026_580_zpsynejldtt.jpg

IMG_20161023_125058_371_zpsasvpn9fg.jpg

After
IMG_20161023_171711_444_zpsjwpxvxdh.jpg

2nd coat coming today. Gonna paint the rear and rail around the top then a dark gray on the rest.

Latest posts