Johnson 48 SPL Reverse "Lock"

Have a question about your motor? All motor talk and questions go here.
thedude

Johnson 48 SPL Reverse "Lock"

Post by thedude » 11 Sep 2019, 10:12

1993 model Johnson 48 SPL. When trying to reverse off the trailer with throttle, the prop is coming out of the water as the motor tilts up. My old Mercury had a feature that locked the motor in reverse but would let it tilt up in forward gear in case you hit something.

Does the Johnson have this feature? I've reviewed the book on it and can't seem to find any discussion.

Thanks!

RazorBaits
jonboatsam

Re: Johnson 48 SPL Reverse "Lock"

Post by jonboatsam » 11 Sep 2019, 11:52

First thing to look for is to look for the tilt pin where the reverse locks hooks second place to look is the rod from reverse lever go's to latch.
I'm also wondering is this trim and tilt or manual tilt manual tilt would be my first part off my answer if its trim and tilt you have a problem.
Sam

thedude

Post by thedude » 11 Sep 2019, 13:29

jonboatsam wrote:First thing to look for is to look for the tilt pin where the reverse locks hooks second place to look is the rod from reverse lever go's to latch.
I'm also wondering is this trim and tilt or manual tilt manual tilt would be my first part off my answer if its trim and tilt you have a problem.
Sam
This motor has an old tilt assist cylinder that no longer functions. I have a cmc aftermarket trim kit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Post by nccatfisher » 11 Sep 2019, 20:03

You locked it with that lever on the handle to the trim assist. You will have to make a lock and just lock it in the down position and use the T&T.

thedude

Post by thedude » 11 Sep 2019, 22:21

Okay the lever is still there but the cable is gone. I'll inspect closer and see what I might be able to fabricate. Good to know it is not tied in to the shift rod.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Post by nccatfisher » 12 Sep 2019, 14:51

Those cylinders gave some trouble but so did the cable. You may get lucky and in your case it just be the cable. If so you may just replace it and then lock it in the down position and be good to go. I don't remember what the cable costs but those cyls were/are pricey and kinda aggravating to work on. I had a couple 40s and luckily they never gave any trouble.