Bassboy1 trailer tips article.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, if y'all have any suggestions, I am more than willing to edit the article (Jim is grumbling at the possible extra trouble as he reads this, I'm sure).

Very likely I left something out.

What I use to hold the rear end of the boat down is a pies of aluminum i found in a house someone was remolding that is similar to aluminum square tube. Then i got two springs and bolted one end to the square tubing. the other end of the spring i but a round clip(like on the end of a dog leash) the clips into a drilled hole on the trailer frame. I have an older trailer so for me drilling a hole wasnt a big deal. I can see if i can get a camera and take some pics.

Need a couple sentences about huw to back your trailer down the ramp etc. Personally I look out the drivers window at the rear tire and use that to guage where it's going to keep the tire the same distance off the ramp edge so the trailer goes straight into the water.

Also keeping your eyes open and checking for reference points when you pull up to the ramp to back in helps a lot as doing it the same way each time does.

Jamie

I use my mirrors.I never turn around and look back.It helps if you can let the tail gate down.My Ranger's tail gate lifts off,so I usually leave it at home.

I agree with Ben. Looking back is a bad habbit to start. Use your mirrors. Although I haven't backed up boat trailers alot, I used to drive a bucket truck with a chipper on the back when I was with Asplundh tree company. I learned it's easier when just learning to back up a trailer if you hold the bottom of the steering wheel. So to all the rookies out there, if you've never done it, give it a try. And remember, it's not a race so take your time. I've seen several people trying to back up to quickly at the ramp and get all kinds of crooked before finally getting in the water.

I've seen several people trying to back up to quickly at the ramp and get all kinds of crooked before finally getting in the water.

yep, that's what happens to me when I get in a hurry, and even sometimes when my head isn't screwed-on straight and not thinking properly. I still use the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel method, plus I use my mirrors and the look-over-the-shoulder method. I need all the help I can get on our very narrow ramps here. :shock:

Come to think of it, since I haven't had my rig out of the garage since October, I'll probably have a few goof-ups at the ramp once I finally, if ever, get it on the water.

Mirrors for me most of the time. I do look over my shoulder because the dumb mirror on the passenger side makes everything look so small and that is the side I try to put next to the dock (that way the console is next to to the dock and easier to grab from inside the boat). When I am recovering the boat I have my gate up and back seat folded down so I can see just how far out of the water the back ends of my bunks are.

Ranchero50 said:
Need a couple sentences about huw to back your trailer down the ramp etc. Personally I look out the drivers window at the rear tire and use that to guage where it's going to keep the tire the same distance off the ramp edge so the trailer goes straight into the water.

Also keeping your eyes open and checking for reference points when you pull up to the ramp to back in helps a lot as doing it the same way each time does.

Jamie
Probably need a whole article on boat ramp etiquette. Seems a LOT of people need that. Of course, most of the people with that issue are pleasure boaters, but some tin boaters might want a little crash course before they attempt a launch the first time. When I get a free moment, I might start working on that, as well as the other article Brine has been pushing me to write.

bassboy1 said:
Ranchero50 said:

Jamie
Probably need a whole article on boat ramp etiquette. Seems a LOT of people need that. Of course, most of the people with that issue are pleasure boaters, but some tin boaters might want a little crash course before they attempt a launch the first time. When I get a free moment, I might start working on that, as well as the other article Brine has been pushing me to write.

Thats true, but around me a few tin boaters seem to forget they can tie their boats to the dock. Instead they like to pull them up on the ramp, blocking one lane of the ramp until they can park their trucks. Overall not nearly as much of a problem as some other pleasure boaters, but a little annoying.

WELL I WOULD ADD. FIRST MAKE SURE YOU ARE AS STRIGHT AS YOU CAN GET WITH THE SPOT YOU ARE GOING TO BACK INTO. GO SLOW,ONCE YOU START GETTING CROOKED, PULL UP STRIGHT AND TRY AGAIN. THE SHORTER THE TRAILER- THE FASTER YOU HAVE TO CORRECT THE DIRECTION OF THE REAR OF THE TRAILER. THE BEST WAY IS USE YOUR MIRRORS. IF YOU CAN FIND A BIG LOT SET UP SOME MARKERS AND PRATICE THERE, WHERE NO ONE IS WATCHING AND MAKEING YOU GET ALL SHOOK UP. ITS NOT THAT BAD TO LEARN HOW TO DO THIS. I HAVE TO BACK 53 FOOT TRAILERS UP IN THE BIG CITYS ,ON A ONE WAY STREET,WITH CARS PARKED ON BOTH SIDE OF THE STREET. THATS TRAINING.
OH YEA NO POWER STEERING OR AIR CONDITION, AND ITS 93 DEGREES OUT. [-o<

Took my wife to the local exotic sports car dealership to practice backing the boat. The looks on the salemen's faces was priceless watching them watch her try to back up between a pair of Lamborghinis with me outside going, "No, not that way!!!!"

Popeye said:
Took my wife to the local exotic sports car dealership to practice backing the boat. The looks on the salemen's faces was priceless watching them watch her try to back up between a pair of Lamborghinis with me outside going, "No, not that way!!!!"

seriously?!?! I would have loved to see that

Popeye said:

I would have fell over laughing at the sales guys and manager.Did they not run outside and try to stop you two?

I USE MY DRIVE SIDE MIRROR MOST OF THE TIME AND LINE UP WITH THE DOCK IF THERE IS ONE. I FOUND A COUPLE OF SAFETY FLAGS FOR A BICYCLE WORK REAL GOOD TO KEEP TRACK OF THOSE SMALL BOATS THAT SEEM TO DISAPEAR BEHIND THE VEHICLE. SLOW AND SMALL MOVEMENTS WITH THE STEER WHEEL GETS ER DONE.

russ010 said:
Popeye said:

seriously?!?! I would have loved to see that

Now I need a place for my wife to pratice backing up this thing. My favorite car dealer is closed. Maybe I'll go down by the Marina and we can practice backing between the yachts that are for sale.

Roo2.jpg

Latest posts