Trolling motor broken shaft ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoelke54

Reaction score
Broke the shaft on my Minn Kota enduramax 55. Does the broken shaft allow water in the lower part of the motor? Does it need to be dissembled and dried? Or can I screw in a new shaft and run it? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where is it broken? If the shaft is broken below the waterline, it will let water into the motor since the control wires to the motor run down inside the shaft.

LarryMc said:
Where is it broken? If the shaft is broken below the waterline, it will let water into the motor since the control wires to the motor run down inside the shaft.

It broke below the water line.

If it were mine, I would take it apart and check it out. Brushes wear out quickly if the motor is run while they are wet.

LarryMc said:
If it were mine, I would take it apart and check it out. Brushes wear out quickly if the motor is run while they are wet.

I tore it apart, really not as complicated as I expected. I'll dry it out then reassemble with new shaft. Thanks.

Probably be a good idea to buy a Seal and O-Ring kit for your motor before you reassemble it. They only cost around 6 or 7 dollars.

Have you removed the shaft yet? I've never removed one, but I've heard that it can sometimes be difficult.

LarryMc said:
Probably be a good idea to buy a Seal and O-Ring kit for your motor before you reassemble it. They only cost around 6 or 7 dollars.

Have you removed the shaft yet? I've never removed one, but I've heard that it can sometimes be difficult.

Yes, the shaft removal was a pain. I used a torch to heat the housing and still ended up twisting the composite shaft off inside. The shaft was cracked thus weakening it, I'm sure that had something to do with breaking it off. It was also difficult getting all the crap they used out of the threads. I understand they don't want the shaft to move, but the method the used to secure it seemed like overkill to me.