• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Kayak - fishing, sit on top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovedr79

Reaction score
I am possibly looking for a sit on top fishing kayak. preferably 10'. depending on location and price. not sure i want to spend a fortune on a yak and end up not liking it.

Budget - Determine your budget first, as adding items like a seat or hatches and then rod holders for fishing can easily add > $100 to the purchase price. Plus you'll need a decent paddle ($30+), sized lengthwise for the width/beam of the kayak, plus a good life jacket ($30+). They make ones with minimal flotation in the shoulder area to allow for more comfortable and efficient paddling.

Options - Check out Craigslist, as I recently picked up a 10' Pelican SOT kayak for $200 that someone else had rigged up for fishing. It came complete with a high-backed padded seat, flush-mounted rod holders, a deck/storage hatch, and 'milk crate' storage container with rod holders fashioned and mounted on it, that sits in the rear storage well. All that, with a paddle ... and it was a no brainer! Plus it is nice and light to carry, as I can pick it up and press it over my head easily. So car-topping is simple.

Watch For - Keep in mind a few things to watch for if you buy a used boat and want to rig it for fishing.

(1) Make sure it comes with a comfortable seat with backrest. As if it doesn't, plan on spending $40-$50 to get a good 'high backed' seat you can last more than a few hours comfortably in.

(2) Always look at the top deck or top of the gunnels! Those that are 'flat', make it easier to mount adjustable rod holders, or in-boat flush mounted rod holders.

(3) If the boat doesn't come with any deck hatches already cut into the boat, you can add them, but they run $25 and up for the 6" sixed ones.

When I add items, I don't screw them into the hull, I use SS through-bolts, with a large fender washer and nylok nut mounted on the inside for strength and to make it permanent.

New - Not sure you have these discount stores down south, or that side of the Mason-Dixon line, but Ocean State Job Lot sells new HydroPro 9' and 10' SOT kayaks for $200 and $250. The larger one, their 'Ambition' model has two 8" waterproof deck hatches already cut into it. so this gives you a way to easily access the underside of the hull for adding fishing items like rod holders and such. See picture. A few of my friends bought these boats and rigged them up nicely!

Rigging Tip - Determine WHICH side of the boat you will cast over and keep that side of the boat CLEAR! Like I am left-handed, and it is more comfortable for me to cast/fish with my rod tip over the right side of the boat. So I keep the right side clear of any other added on items. My rod holder and fishfinder are mounted on the left side and that is where I will clip in my paddle, when I am not using it.

This is also for safety ... for in case you tip over and need to climb back in, you know that one side of the boat has no obstructions in your way to climb over. Tip: We carry lengths of sinking line that has loops every 2', total length ~6'. We coil it in the back of the boat, but it is tied to the side handle on the side of the boat we would climb back up on, so on my boat (being a lefty) it would be on the right side. If I tipped over, I pull the rope down into the water, then insert my foot into one of the lower loops so I can use my leg strength to hoist my arse back aboard.

Now, no one who yaks plans to tip over ... but I strongly urge you to try climbing back into whatever boat you get, while in warm, shallow water ... as you'll see why sometimes you need a helping hand getting back in! I boat saltwater, so perhaps some of my setups and prep is overkill for simpler pond fishing, but whatever ... it is what it is.

Good luck!

Attachments

• HPro.jpg
    HPro.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 954
While I agree with many things that Dale said, I think his prices are too low.

A decent light weight paddle (very important for distance and speed) could easily add $150.00 ( up to $600.00 or so if you want to get crazy).

I've owned five Sit On Top kayaks.

One thing that is often overlooked is the size/weight/floatation ratings of the yak...as compared to the size/weight etc. of the paddler. Don't begin to believe the ratings that the sellers put on a yak. If you are fishing out of them, consider a 2/3rds of the stated rating as minimal for your use. i.e a 300 lb rated kayak, IMHO, would easily support a 200 lb. guy and some tackle. It won't, safely, support a 260 lb guy. DO NOT ask how I know this!

Add an anchor trolley; consider buying an inexpensive drift chute..and have fun.

rich

Latest posts