Hull Cleaners & Wax for Aluminum Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning on waxing after polishing mine. Curious why you believe it’s a bad idea? I have no clue, I just figure it would keep the shine longer...

For bare aluminum you cannot beat Aluma-Bright.
Soap and water.
I don't think I have ever waxed a boat in 50 years.

Back to the original question, if one polished the Aluminum, what is the general consensus to “seal” in the polishing work?

For example, in a fresh water environment, I plan on polishing my lower hull to a mirror finish, but I don’t want to do that every 2 months. Can it be polished and sealed with a marine-grade wax to keep the “mirror” (non-oxidizing) for as long as possible?

Checkout a product called sharkhide. A lot of pontoon owners use it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharkhide+metal+protectant

Riverdog said:
Checkout a product called sharkhide. A lot of pontoon owners use it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharkhide+metal+protectant

Thanks Riverdog, that stuff looks pretty slick. I was thinking to use the Zephyr polishing product, but seems like the SharkHide holds up better in the long run. My boat is usually always on a trailer in a garage (not kept in water) so I may get a few years of life out of the end result.

Thanks for the tip!

Holy cow! The complete three part product is $475 (CA)! Ouch! Oh well, not much more than the Zephyr stuff.

I use 3M Aluminum restorer and polish, smooth and easy application, polishes out well and makes oxidized aluminum look nearly new. Not cheap but well worth the price.

With me is Meguiar’s M4232 Wash n wax. This is without a doubt the best boat washing product out there. If you have months of dirt and stains though, this is not your product. But if you wash your boat on a regular basis, and you like things to look good, this is the only boat soap on the market that will help you keep wax on the finish. (You still have to wax several times a year though). But it looks spectacular in between waxes. We have a fleet of boats for sale at a dock that we take care of on a weekly basis. We have used every product out there, this is hands down the best.

Latest posts