Mercy 60/40 4 stroke squealing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rotus I'm trying to remember how I did cause when I converted my engine to a jet the outboard jet I sourced used was a long shaft and I have a short shaft engine. So I had to order a drive shaft from obj and I swapped it myself. Went through the same thing you did my bearings and seals were like new in the bearing housing so I just reused them again but I had to press the bearing off the drive shaft and on the new one I'm trying to recall how I did it. I went to a buddies shop and did it all myself I think I pressed the driveshaft out supporting the bearing housing and pressing on the drive shaft then supported the bearing and pressed the drive shaft out from it. This was a little over a year ago now and I didn't document the process just did it. But I'm use to figuring out things like it I'm mechanical engineer technician by day and always have some kind of engine, car, or boat project I'm working on. If you call obj they are pretty helpful I talked to them before doing it and brian helped explain it.

Update: I decided to "press" the bearing onto the driveshaft myself and it was a piece of cake. I just drilled a 3/4" hole into my workbench and put a thick washer on it. Then I slid the driveshaft in and let the weight rest on the sleeve. Found a piece of pipe that matched the inner race diameter and sent it home.

Getting the bearing into the housing was much trickier and more difficult. This is because you have 3' of driveshaft over top of the bearing and an awkward shaped housing that you have to support to get the bearing and shaft into. I made a housing rest/holder out of an old platform and the only pipe I could find that matched the bearings outer race (2") was pvc. This meant I had to hit the pipe harder than I would have liked because it absorbed much of the impact. Anyways a few nice taps and the bearing went right in there!

Anyways, took me about 3 hours to make
The tools and get the bearing carrier back together and get the jet pump back on the motor. She's running great and there is no more bearing howl or rattle!! Cost with shipping and all was about $125 and a full day of removal and install. I'm very happy to have this resolved. Thanks for all the help and support guys!

rotus623 said:
Just thought I would finish up this thread.

Everything went very well this weekend. Boat ran great, no squealing or rattling. Very happy!!

thumbup.gif

Latest posts