Damian's 14ft Aluminum V Mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianz31

Reaction score
My 14ft V Starcraft Project

I finished the trailer by sanding it then spraying primer then black rust-oleum. Trailer turned out good.
On to the boat,
I took the benches out, left the side planks that were holding the benches in, they will help with the rebuilding process.
I also power washed the whole boat with sand and water mix which took all the paint off nicely and made boat nice and clean.

Boat
Before
Boat before 2.png
Seats Taken Out
Boat no seats.png

Trailer Before
Trailer before.png

Trailer After Sanding
Rust-oleum.png
Trailer painted.png

Need to figure out paint to use for outside of boat, paint will need to last long periods in water when fishing...
Boat power washed with sand
Boat washed.png

1. I need to figure out paint for boat
2. Another thing i want to add is to the trailer and that is another "rack?" to hold boat in place.
What i mean (the carpet covered piece of wood or metal that holds boat onto trailer)
I have two that go under boat when boat comes onto trailer
I want to make 2 more on the side (one on each side) to hold the boat in place and not let boat go side to side
When i first purchased boat i had to tie down the boat around the center so that boat didn't roll off...
I would like to build two racks one on each side to the trailer
Any suggestions?

They have kits you can by to do what you are talking about. However you can do the same thing by welding or boating a couple pieces of aluminum or metal to the back side of the boat extending out at an angle around the lights. Then just mount a bunk on each of them and you are done. My suggestion is to look through other builds to get ideas. Plenty of guys have done what your talking about
Good look and look forward to more pics!

Its coming... Im still at school so the only times i have to work on it is the weekends when i come home. I got two coats of paint on the bottom and i will start the sides this weekend or next weekend. Once school ends it will be a much faster process since i will have time.

Hey,
Yeah i hear ya. I go to school 8 -11 m-f and then work from 12 -8 pm. I just got a StarCraft 14ft V-hull. Can't wait to start working on it tomorrow. Going to be a slow process since I have never worked on something like this before. You're boat is looking good so far. Here is a pic of the one i JUST GOT.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 3,077
Yeah that one looks really clean already! I got mine for really cheap but it is a little messed up with paint and stuff. I kinda wanted a project thought it would be fun. I have a good idea of what i will be doing so we will see how it turns out!

Hey Damian, nice start! Love StarCraft boats, easy to work with and endless possibilities.
Do you attend Mchenry HS ? Graduated there in 1972 (yikes) spent my summers on Wonder Lake and chasing girls on the Fox River.
Looking good so far, best of luck to you.

Graduated from McHenry, in College now, live in Wonder Lake, i bought the boat to use on wonder lake, i spent a lot of time fishing from shore over the past years... Time to change it up and experience fishing from a boat.

damianz31 said:
1. I need to figure out paint for boat
2. Another thing i want to add is to the trailer and that is another "rack?" to hold boat in place.
What i mean (the carpet covered piece of wood or metal that holds boat onto trailer)
I have two that go under boat when boat comes onto trailer
I want to make 2 more on the side (one on each side) to hold the boat in place and not let boat go side to side
When i first purchased boat i had to tie down the boat around the center so that boat didn't roll off...
I would like to build two racks one on each side to the trailer
Any suggestions?

So what you are referring to is the Bunks - they are usually covered dimensional lumber covered in outdoor carpet - though I have seen highend trailers with Teflon tops bolted to wooden or metal frames.

If you still have them, look at the ones you took off the boat to see the size lumber you need.

Then you have to bend some angle steel or iron (!) into uprights that match your boat's hull shape, and bolt them to the trailer. Bolt a couple bunks (one on each side) to the angle iron and you are all set.

There are probably pictures on the internet somewhere.

Good luck!

Yeah thanks, i figured it out a while ago actually, i ordered 2 bunk brackets that will extend the piece of wood and carpet a little longer, because the current way the trailer was built only used 2 brackets and it wasn't very stable. Im putting the two other brackets toward the front of the trailer more and extend the wood/carpet so the boat will be more stable on the trailer. Once school ends in 1 more week!! i will be getting to work on this boat!

Im going to carefully paint the letters white.

I have question about the transom, or any ideas for it.
Ive seen a lot of posts about not using treated wood.
Ive looked it up but i can't tell if it is or not

My dad cut these out a while back, but i asked him if this is treated wood or not and neither of us know. He used this decking material since he has a lot from work. Its a plastic material but is really heavy for such small pieces.
IMG_6047.jpg
What he used
IMG_6048.jpg

Should i use these pieces or find a more suitable material?
I also will probably paint it the color of boat or something and i was just testing if the paint stuck and it did.

That's composite wood - great to use.

It's wood chips with plastic formed under heat & pressure. Should be pretty slippery and make launching very.

Skiffing said:
That's composite wood - great to use.

It's wood chips with plastic formed under heat & pressure. Should be pretty slippery and make launching very.

It would be used in the transom... so would it still be good to use? its really heavy also, i don't know if that will be good or not...

Latest posts