16' v hull conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rda2187

Reaction score
hello everybody, stumbled upon this forum totally by accident, but what a wealth of knowledge there seams to be. Last October I picked up a craigslist special, 16' Starcraft v hull and a load rite trailer for $700. I truthfully had no intentions of modding this thing, but like anything else I got to thinking.

This morning I tore out all the old decking, it really wasn't in that bad of shape, but my ORGINAL plan was just to build a rear deck using existing rear bench and framed out. However I started thinking. Is there any reason I can't remove the middle bench all together? It seems from other threads I've been checking out I can remove one, bench as long as I put the foam insulation back in somewhere else, Essentially giving me a huge open platform.

And if I'm going to go that far as to build a rear deck and remove a bench why am I not doing the same on the front and making a bow platform as well.

My day job is a carpenter/home improvement contractor so fabricating skills are there.

I am aware I'm adding weight to the boat, which brings me to my next question? Is 1/2" plywood suitable? Or is 3/4" the way to go. I have 1 center support and the side if the ribs, concerned about flexing with 1/2.

If anybody has any tips/pictures of there projects, or links to other threads feel free to post em here or whatever. Any help/input is greatly appreciated as I tackle this project.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 1,796
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,796
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,796
Nice boat and price! Best I can advise is spend a long while perusing the forums, as there are SO MANY great conversions and ideas from the many gifted, talented or just plain darned determined folks here.

But as far as removing the middle seat ... in what kinds of waters will you be running? I run in the salt and a slight chop is typical of the day. See one concern here for what removing a structural member of the hull can do. And FWIW, I've seen two fiberglass CC hulls showing the same damage at the topsides, hull and liner, about from 1/3rd to 1/2-way back from the bow. So it is a legitimate concern if used in seas ...

On lakes or ponds and if NOT running in bad sea states and you'd probably be OK ...

See: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38511

Thanks for the reply,
This boat is ONLY In local lakes in north New Jersey, powered by a 8hp Honda I'm rebuilding as well. Might add additional bracing under platform as well for support. I was also thinking I saw a gentleman who re did a Lund up in Massachusetts on this forum and he added side storage/seating down the sides. And a center consol, I might look into that as well to add support and seating.

I think for now I'm going to clean out all the crap that accumulated in the bottom over the years, remove middle bench and install the lower decking, in the middle section, as well as frame out the rear upper platform area. Will give myself a week to decide how I want to incorporate maybe side storage and how to design the front platform. Seating is an issue, the most I'll have is 3 men in boat max And the current design in my head only has my seat in the rear. I guess worst case the just sit on the lower platform.

Disclaimer** I apologize if I'm rambling, definetly just talking/typing out loud. Again any input, ideas, thoughts or suggestion are much appreciated.

Well if anybody is following this build, I got some work done today, nothing like 65 degrees in Nj in February. Was able to remove the middle bench, removed transom, cut plywood 3/4 inch for lower floor and messed around with rear deck ideas. And lastly primed all my plywood with a slow dry deep penetrating oil primer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,697
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,697
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,697
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,697
Lookin' good! That's gonna be a sweet setup for what you're going to use it for.

Can't beat the weather to be working on her in FEB in the northeast either :)

It's only 8:30 Am here but I still can't get past the Pizza box. I left New Jersey decades ago and have not had a real pizza since.

Thanks for the replys, will definetly take a look through those links. Yes there's nothing quite like north jersey/NYC pizza. Except some Chicago folks might beg to differ with their style smh.

Didn't get to much done today, framed out the lower bow platform, still have to finish some supports. Haven't even started the upper bow, mini storage compartment, where trolling motor will sit. By the way does anybody know on average how long of a min Kota shaft I'll need 54"? Or 48".

I also need to figure out if I'm going to add storage under bow platform, don't want weak spots while I'm standing up there.

And hopefully by next week il have the back all framed out, but I have to actually go to work the rest of the week on work that pays :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,568
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,568
Looks you found a diamond in the rough, take your time & plan for the future now on what you may want going forward from the boat.

Wasn't last Sunday an awesome day to in NJ & working on your tin boat? I too spent the day on my annual improvements on my baby.
A lot of other were out there doing the same, as I discovered when picking up SS hardware @ the local SEARS HARDWARE. A BIG RUN ON SS!

You should be fine with the 1/2" for the flooring but I highly recommend sealing it, especially the edges. I see that you are going with 2x4 frame material, make sure you also hit that as well. I used deck sealant paint (2-3 coats) then follow up with URATHANE & let it all cure real well. Make sure that you rough any surface you plan on covering with your floor covering of choice. I went with sealed 2 liter plastic bottles & foam board for buoyancy under the flooring as well & that has worked out real well too.

I am currently installing a casting deck in the bow which I used aluminum ladder sections for the frame 7 designed it so that I have all of the space under the deck free for storage & place for my dog to get out of the sun. I am using 3/4" hardwood plywood which I sealed once again sealed as the flooring. I plan on setting up a posting with the TRILOGY of my 16' BLUEFIN resurrection soon with lots off pics.

Shocker

Yes Sears has been my go to for bolts for years, my jeep CJ project was entirely done by Sears hardware. Are you referring to the one in midland park? Where in jersey you located?

Won't get to much done this weekend but I got all my engine parts back from machine shop so re assembly will take place since it's just a little to cold to be outside

Really debating on making a live well or not and if I want to add a chair to front platform

Since it was a bit to cold to work on the actual boat I figured it was time to put the motor back together since the head came back from the machine shop.

This is my Craigslist special $400 Honda 8hp the kid had overheated it and bent the valves. Another $300 in parts and machine work I'm hoping it will purr

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,364
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,364
looking good, we're you planing on doing any storage under the front platform, I'm thinking of doing a rod locker under mine right now my framing is very similar to yours

I've tossed around so many ideas about storage, this is my plan so far, I will be adding to hatches on back platform for fuel tank, and batteries.

I'm building side compartments on each side of the boat, that will connect front/rear platform 1 side will have rod racks in and store rods (locking too).

The other side I'm not sure if I'm only going to make it half the length to leave room for a cooler tucked out of the way, but regardless that side will hold life jackets, first aid kit, anchor, fire extinguisher, rope etc etc.

As far as front - I think I will be doing no storage underneath platform, however I'm doing a raised upper platform for trolling motor to sit on above main platform, going to add sort of a car style glove box for phone/wallet/general crap, fish finder, cup holder will be somewhere in front too

Also will be recessing foot control for trolling motor to alleviate back fatigue I've read about so the controls will be almost flush to floor.

I live in WEST MILFORD so I am speaking of the SEARS in HEWITT. Their prices are high but saves me from having to go to FASTENAL or GRAINGER!

Helped a buddy this w/e on making a deck plate for the bow of his boat so he can mount a trolling motor on his MONARCH 14' so I did not do too much this w/e on my boat. I am @ the point now where I ma waiting for the temperature to go over 60 so I can add my new LED bow lights, wire it, mount my trolling motor & wire then I can finally screw down my new casting deck.

I cannot wait to finish up my project & have her ready for the H2O in 2 weeks!

Well si ce its 70 degrees in the north east again, got some more work done today,

Installed new transom. And re did everything in stainless of course.

Installed framing for side storage boxes.

Mock installed the supports for rear deck, but have to run my wiring up to the front before I can install decking

Really having a hard time deciding on where to mount fish finder and where to mount transducer.

Option A transom transducer, fish finder in bow or stern

Option B transom transducer install fish finder by gas motor,

Option C trolling motor transducer bow mounted fish finder.

Input op personal experience will help me out!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 373
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 373
If you are just going with one FF then may I suggest mounting it mid ship on a RAM mount such as the RAM two pivot mount. It comes in a vertical or horizontal mount format to suit your boat application. This mount has a 6" swivel arm & you can face towards front or back with 1 foot radius of usage.

I bought mine from a computer accessory company for $47.00 with shipping-a lot better than the $75.00 plus shipping CABELAS & BASS PRO SHOPS want for the same mount. If you want the name of them please private message me.

If you are going to the OUTDOOR show this weekend in SUFFERN you can see it there& kick the tires.

Today we are going to hit the mid 70's in NORTH JERSEY, nice weather for gluing down carpet for you.

You read my mind. Right in the middle is exactly where I'm going to put it on the side storage boxes, I'll leave an area that doesn't hinge - yes I'm going to the show this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going to go Friday afternoon or Saturday AM