1848 Tracker Grizzley ModV with pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jawhee13

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am not new to the site but i am a new member. I recently bought a 1848 tracker grizzley modv jon boatwith medium sized pods on back. I have been searching all over the upper midwest (dakotas and minnesota) for an outboard motor for it. It says it is rated for 40HP and i have not had much luck finding a tiller with electric start and power trim and tilt for it. However, I did recieve an email of a guy selling a 1989 Evinrude 60HP electric start with power trim and tilt and i have a few questions about it. First, does anyone know how much that motor weighs? Second, do you guys think that is too much motor for that boat to handle? i looked online and most 1848's seem to be 50-60HP so i don't get why mine is only 40. Let me know what you guys think as i need help cuz i need to decide on the motor fast! It is a very reasonable price.

OR.....if any of you have a motor that you would be willing to sell me let me know what you have!!!!

Once i get my boat project started i will start posting pictures on here. I already have a trolling motor, depth finder, LED lights, cd player and speakers, seats, switch panel, and rope lights ordered for my boat so i have alot of work to do with wiring and some fabrication.

Also if anyone has made a livewell from scratch in a jon boat i would like to know step by step instructions on how to do so. I have a split back bench and one side is empty so i thought i would make a livewell inside of it. Any help would be great here!!!!!!

If you look at the new boats out there, they always rate a tiller of the same size for less horsepower than a remote steer. Maybe it has to do with weight balance or control. Are the pods factory? If not, it may be ok. Check the laws. I read somewhere that modified boats don't have to meet what's on the plate in some places. 40 does seem low. My 1648 riveted mod v is also rated at 40.

Here's some good info from the coast guard site:
https://law.justia.com/cfr/title33/33-2.0.1.8.44.html
The table is garbage. View it here.
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Documents/WatercraftCapacityFormula.pdf

Your boat with pods is longer than 18ft, so it may change the calculation.

I'm sure it will float ok. I'd do it with a 2-stroke. Don't know about a heavy 4-stroke. None of this would be an issue around here. I've never heard of anyone being checked for motor size. Boat reg and safety equipment, yes.

With tiller handle that motor is 254 pounds. I had the same motor on a 1648 with pods. It worked just fine, just get accustomed to lots of bowrise getting on plane and be sure to come off plane slowly to avoid backwash.

I have a couple other questions for you jon boat experts. I'm setting up my boat currently and i have pods on the back. Where would you mount the transducer for the depth finder? Not really sure what to do here.
Secondly, I have been thinking of boat names for my boat. The boat will be used for deer hunting, bowhunting, fishing, bowfishing, and drinking! I have a few here, let me know what you think and give me some suggestions!!!!

-Beaver Blaster
-Racks'n'Rodents
-Beavinator (name already taken...My buddy's boat)
-Buckinator
-Horn-e-beaver
-Antlerassassin
-Bigcountry Backwaters

Those are just a few running through my head! let me know if you guys have any ideas