1967 Starcraft V Hull Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafitzwater

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here. I got this boat not too long ago maybe a month or so. I put a little work into it to make it a fishing rig. So far here is the pretty much completed version and pics along the way.

Day 1

took it apart and pressure washed it then started sealing

primed after sealing

Painted after prime

hull painted, and sealed, didn't get any pics of the process

making the deck

carpeted and doors

installed hinges on doors and install swivel seats and decals

Boat finished and taken out.

After it was finished and taken to the lake for its maiden voyage... there was an issue. Raising the center of gravity made this boat feel like you were in a canoe.

after searching the web to figure out how to fix it I was told to "Buy another boat" and I didn't think that was a good enough answer. So I got ideas about stabilizers, and outriggers... so I used all that info and created side mounted pontoon stabilizers.

PROBLEM SOLVED! This is about as stable as a 15 foot boat. Increased the footprint of my 12 footer and made it VERY stable enough to stand on the deck one in front and one in back. Also helped keep the back end up while motor was going.

anyways thats it. Hope you like.

let me know if you have any ideas of what else I could do to it, or any questions for me, thanks!

-Joe

Joe, the pontoon Idea is amazing! Congrats on fixing that problem. That is some awesome fabrication and thank you for sharing it. I think it's a great idea.

Looks like you used pvc sewer pipes with endcaps glued on for the pontoons. How did you mount them to the boat? L brackets riveted to the hull, or welded? Also, do the pontoons impact your speed at all?

Do you think you could start a thread on how you build and mounted the pontoons???