1983 Lowe 1860

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fin

Reaction score
Picked up a Lowe 1860 with a 60hp Johnson last year and have been reading posts all over the place on this forum.
This is my first post but I thought I would let a few people see what I have delt with since starting this project. First of all here is a pic of the boat as it looked when I brought it home. It had been sitting outside for about a year and hadn't run at all in that time.

I paid $1000 for it not realizing what I was getting into. I am not a young man but have plenty of time to fiddle.
Started with removing the old flooring and cleaning the inside of the boat. Put the pink sheet back in and new Marine plywood.

Now for some benches-storage area. This is a big boat and I will be using it mostly in the rivers around Texas.

Storage area is in and decided to start and carpet put on.

Looking pretty good for me. I ran out of carpet and didn't have enough to do the Port side on the vertical so I just painted it. Actually I wish I had done the same thing to the Starboard side.
I am working on fixing some salt water corrosion on the stern of the boat now. Here is a pic of what it looks like. I tried using some JB weld with no luck It lasted about 6 trips when I noticed the patch was starting to release. So it took a scraper and it just pulled right off. That cancer is terrible, to fix.
I dug out all the foam in the rear of the boat on the side that has the cancer and am going to put a doubler plate on the inside and the outside with 3M-5200. Here are some pics.

I will post pics when it is fixed.
Now to the motor. It was a piece of junk. Couldn't get the prop off and the lower unit didn't have forward gear. Just some grinding.
Well I made this puller to get the prop off and it worked like a champ

Here it is hooked to the prop trying to get it off. It worked so well it pulled the hub out.

I still had to beat the inner sleeve off after cutting it in half with a grinder

Finally got the lower unit off and broke several bolts trying to get the water pump off and the shift shaft seal out. Junked the lower unit an bought a whole motor that hadn't been in salt water for $300 with a working power tilt and trim. Used that lower unit and put the power tilt on my motor to boot.
Here is what the boat looks like now with the exception of the cancer fix.

I'll post more as the work progressed.