1989 Basstracker rebuild- Ripped it apart, Tracker stuff ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdad

Reaction score
Just started to rip apart my tracker for a complete interior rebuild and possible paint. This boat was on the water this past year, but kept taking on water etc. I fixed a number of loose rivets, but still water everytime. So I made the decision to rip it apart this winter and rebuild it how I want it. I have gotten a lot of good advice from this forum and looking for some more help as I make my way through. As many of the people on the forum suggested, they thought I would find my floatation foam to be completely soaked. Well, it was soaked and saturated beyond what I would have ever thought. Tracker did some things whe they made these boats that just make no sense to me. All of the foam sandwiched between the floor and the hull was soaked, it was installed and just sitting in the water channels that run to the bilge?????? Stupid? Even the floor drain had foam installed directly below it, makes no sense. I have ripped out all the foam and plan to replace. Upon ripping apart the riveted jigsaw puzzle that is the back casting platform, I found more saturated foam and some construction that just seems cheap and stupid. Ahhh well the project should be fun and i look forward to setting it up how I want it and making it right.

My main questions right know are this:
1. The back casting platfom sides was built by just shooting foam into an aluminum case. there is no actual framing, just aluminum rails laid on top of the foam and then the aluminum case was rivited to the rails????? Do you think I should frame something out here or just repour the foam, once I remove the exsiting? Also where thes foam blocks are located, could I just frame this out and make dry storage on both sides? Or so you think this foam is crucial?

2. When replacing the floor foam, what should I use or how would I keep the foam from getting saturated as there is no real way I can think of to keep the foam raised above the floor to fkeep it away from any water?

3. Gluvit or what product should I use to ensure no water entry? I want to coat the hull with something to make this boat dry. I want a dry boat that is my number one goal.

More questions later, thanks for your help.....this is a much bigger project than I anticipated when i boaught this boat!!!! But again having fun doing it.

Attachments

• tracker2.JPG
    tracker2.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker6.JPG
    tracker6.JPG
    464.2 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker7.JPG
    tracker7.JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker9.JPG
    tracker9.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker11.JPG
    tracker11.JPG
    511.3 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker13.JPG
    tracker13.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker14.JPG
    tracker14.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 2,188
  • tracker15.JPG
    tracker15.JPG
    524.5 KB · Views: 2,188
I left my 2 big rear floatation blocks but I cut them about 2 inches up from the floor all the way across. If they are wet, they will dry out in the sun, takes awhile though. I removed all other floatation except under the front deck, which was in good shape. I added some floatation under my "bench" seat (pool noodles) and I added some board type foam on my side panels, I DID NOT however put ANY foam back in the floor because I wanted to have good drainage. I also had to drill center drainage holes on mine too.

RIVETING%252520REAR%252520DECK%252520008.jpg

RIVETING%252520REAR%252520DECK%252520009.jpg

Good luck with your project, mine took me part time about 9 months to complete, several "waiting periods" such as weather since I did mine outside in the elements and exteme heat during the summer and others while I saved money to buy aluminum!

PS.....forgot to mention, get your transom done too! If you found any rot on floor wood, I guarantee your transom will be rotten too. It's a JOB to do the transoms on these boats!

pix%252520022.jpg

When I pull on the transom and put pressure on the motor it seems very solid. What would tell me other than testing this way that the transom is rotted? I really would prefer not to have to deal with the welding etc. that looks like goes into doing this. But if it seems solid, should I really rip into it?

MMF- I look for your response on the transom question, but another ? What did you do to get the outside of your hull so clean. I am thinking I may paint mine, but also like the looks of yours. Mine is painted now (by previous owner) but what did you do to yours to make it look so good?

sdad said:
MMF- I look for your response on the transom question, but another ? What did you do to get the outside of your hull so clean. I am thinking I may paint mine, but also like the looks of yours. Mine is painted now (by previous owner) but what did you do to yours to make it look so good?

brillo pads with soap in them, you gotta scrub like h*** and then again after it dries after rinsing. Pretend you are scrubbing pots with burned on stew where somebody cut the burner upto high without stirring and you will see. You can feel it get slicker as you go because the drag reduces.

as far as the transom condition goes, drill you a couple of "test"core samples thru the decorative aluminum on the inside of the transom and if you see "DARK" looking wood shavings, go ahead and get ready to do the transom.

I have restored MANY aluminum boats in my past and I always "think", "maybe the transom will be good" but I have not found a good one yet, older than 10 years at least in my experience. I mainly do it for peace of mind, never forget, the transom is the MOST important structure of the boat! It transfers the energy that the motor produces and failure to LOOK at this seriously can lead to many regets later or disaster in the worst case!

There are 2 cases on transom or vessel wood I have found, either WET wood rot or DRY "rot", the latter, where the wood is old and so dry it will splinter or crumble.