2002 Alumacraft MV 1544 AW Makeover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job!
I like that idea for the rod rack on the back, I could use something similar to that one when fishing for shad in a local river.

I still get about 20mph against current and about 23-24 with current. That's loaded with all fishing gear, cooler and 2 people. BTW, I'm a big guy, 6'3" 280 lbs.

Guess I'm in the ball park then...two big guys with fishing gear got 20mph. Set guy in middle of boat instead of up front... figured it would help. My motor has hydrofoil, don't know how that's affecting it....going to remove that and play around this weekend with tilt settings.

Pondering same thing with the trolling motor...whether or not to get salt water motor or not...I use my boat for duck hunting as well. What shaft length did you get?

Thanks!

"What shaft length did you get?"

I picked mine up at Amazon for $720 +tax (free shipping). It was the 12 volt 55# thrust Co-pilot with the 48" shaft.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQNSLU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
The price is back up to $815 now. I didn't think I would be able to part with my foot controller and was disappointed to find out it doesn't come with one. After trolling around the grassy banks all Saturday morning flounder fishing, I'm in love! I was able to captain the boat all day from the rear deck. I went by Overton's today and picked up a roll of the "No Mar" real tree gun wrap tape. I started my attempt at applying small strips of the tape on the T.M. head this afternoon with little success. The "sphere" shape of the head make this a very difficult task. I know that spray paint would make it a quick, simple job, but man do I hate the idea of painting a brand new (expensive) accessory. I have seen on Ebay a vinyl cover for the head but the shaft, base and motor is still white. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trolling-Motor-Cover-Camouflage-Kit-/360503554821.

"Nice job!
I like that idea for the rod rack on the back, I could use something similar to that one when fishing for shad in a local river."

Thanks! I've really enjoyed having it. It was a random idea I had trying to use some spare materials piling up in my shop. Even though the square tubes are not stainless steel or aluminum, they've shown no signs of rust with the multiple coats of paint. The base tubes are fixed to the inside of the gas tank / battery storage box with two threaded rods in each tube at the base.

0328151437b_resized_zpsmltlxjvk.jpg

The removable part is made of smaller sized square tube that telescopes inside of the pieces fixed to the boat.
0321151708_resized_zpsygdyo08w.jpg

I know some may say it's rigged kinda crappy, but it works for me.

:lol: Looks good to me, and it also looks like it will do the job.
I had thought about doing something similar for awhile, to mount both rod holders and downriggers on. It has to be strong, removable, and break down and assemble without too much trouble.
BUT: that's another project I don't need!

Master-deBaiter said:
Do you mount a blind on your boat for ducks?

Not yet. So far all my duck hunting is done wadding in the swamp. I may try to do some coastal or river duck hunting if I ever build me a blind. The main reason I painted the boat camouflage is to hide any imperfections that may show after bumping into drifting logs on the river, hitting boat docks, etc.