2003 Duracraft 1648 bass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark v

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m new to the site and am looking for some general guidance.

I just bought a 2003 Duracraft 1648 bass with a 70 hp Nissan. It’s a really sweet rig and makes me miss my 21’ bass boat not at all.

I only had a brief on the water test with it as it was late, the lake was unfamiliar and large, and big boats were throwing rollers our way.

My brief driving stint was completely embarrassing. I couldn’t get it on plane to save my life. I had a 21’ Gambler with a 200 promax before… I can drive a boat, but it sure didn’t look like it that day.

With my gambler, I’d trim it all the way in, hit it, jump out of the hole, trim it out and I’m flying.

This boat didn’t like any of that. It was late and I was now very frustrated so I gave the owner back the wheel.

Please tell me how to drive this thing.

#2. What sort of speed should I be seeing? I didn’t have any kind of speed app going but at 5400, it didn’t feel any faster than 30. 35 tops.
Boat empty except for about 450# of people. I’m not expecting a rocket, but it felt like slip numbers were way high. There was still plenty of motor left even at 5400 so I don’t think it’s a motor issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.png
    IMG_1247.png
    361.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1248.png
    IMG_1248.png
    463.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 0
So many factors at play but I would think a heavy 1648 like that with a 70hp should see around 40mph maybe a little more. Looks like maybe a 3deg mod v hull so it's not going to be as fast as a deeper v . Download a GPS speedometer on your phone and get a good number and you'll have a better idea. If you really suspect something isnt right you could check for water logged foam. If speed doesn't seem to increase with rpm could be a spun hub. But those are wild guesses untill you know for sure your top speed and rpm.

Thanks for that.

I’ve had a chance to take a closer look and all three blades look like a rock chewed a nice flat spot in them and folded a 2 mm lip over the front of the blade.

1. Is it repairable?
2. How bad would it kill performance?

Thankfully the prop shaft still spins true

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1256.jpeg
    IMG_1256.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for that.

I’ve had a chance to take a closer look and all three blades look like a rock chewed a nice flat spot in them and folded a 2 mm lip over the front of the blade.

1. Is it repairable?
2. How bad would it kill performance?

Thankfully the prop shaft still spins true
That would certainly hurt performance how much I don't know. Take the prop into a shop sometimes they can be repaired.

Just my 0.02, but I've never noticed much difference between trimming down an aluminum boat like that for holeshot. I typically set it and forget for most of the day, the exception being tweaking the trim at WOT for the smoothest ride since very slight changes in chop can have a big impact on a boat like that.

Latest posts