2017 20AS2 suzuki on order

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gatorglenn said:
Sweet looking motor. And I totally agree with your break in also. One thing to remember on any 4S outboard is to WOT it a few minutes on every outing. At the end of your day, before loading at ramp. This is actually a cleaning. Doing this will keep that dreaded carbon buildup from happening. This is and was the biggest problem boaters had when 4S first hit the water. Especially if you're going to be trolling. It is essential that you do a few minutes of wide-open throttle before loading the boat up on the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks ,it runs as good as it looks to. I run wot near 80% or more of the time. I just don't want people to think ok,get on the water and hammer it. I get to the ramp and warm up for 5 minutes every time, then I idle for like a few minutes it takes to get out of the channel,once I get past the resume as Normal from the no wake zone then I hammer it so the motor is 100% properly warmed up is thee most important thing to do before running it. I just know from reading and reading and I talk to lots of boaters and outboard techs and they say you have one time and one time only to seat those rings,the good part is today's technology and computers that help the workers put these engine blocks together, the tolerances are so close compared to the past that almost little to no break in is even needed anymore according to the article I have read on mercury marine actual website. Like I said people can do as they want,it's their dime and I understand,but the thing I see so much and it scares so many people is they think if they don't break in an engine the way the book says they can,void my warranty if I have an issue, that is so far from the truth. Again it is only a recommendation and nothing more. It does not say anywhere in my manual or any manual I've owned from new,if you don't break it in the way we recommend we will void your warranty. If an outboard is a lemon from the start whether it's ran hard or easy won't change anything,good part is as many as they produce your lucky if 1 to 2% are ever bad,so 1 out of 100 could possibly have an issue if that.

All that aside,lol,I can't wait to see how good this puppy runs on my new boat. I have ran my original one on a 1436 that was the heavyweight Lowe that is 205lbs, I had me at 325lbs at the time,friend at 220lbs,boat 205lbs,engine at 97lbs,coolers,tackle,etc....so it was 1000+ lbs on a 1436,not a good idea,lol,but it hit 27mph and I couldn't believe it. The wider the boat the better it planes so I expect near the same give or take a mph or so. As soon as I hit the water I will post the speeds for anyone looking to purchase this outboard. Sorry so long.

scoobeb said:
jodyp said:
You may have persuaded me to got with the 20! Thanks for sharing your experience! Oh, did you get the 6 year warranty?
6yr warranty is 25hp and up. Trust me,as long as you don't expect a rocket boat,lol,you won't be disappointed with the 20hp. I'm going to the lake this week I'm hoping so as soon as I get full wot speeds with a loaded boat I will let you know how she performs. Remember I took the original prop off as soon as I got it and went straight to the 11 pitch prop due to over revving reasons,tremendous power for this little outboard, especially for an aluminum jon boat. It has Smooth,crisp,deceiving power. Doesn't feel fast till you look at the GPS and your near the mid 20s and your like wow.

Congrats on the motor. I just ordered the Suzuki 25 hp as well. I'm curious, what is the measurement from the stern bracket to the a/v plate?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 inches. A short shaft is known as 15 inches but in reality it measures 17 usually. Most short shaft outboards will usually sit an inch to 2 below the bottom of the boat. You can raise it to even or just above to minimize drag but I did that with my outboard thinking I would gain some mph you know due to less drag,well it did absolutely nothing for me. Some people's boat's may be set up different and it may help them but it did nothing for mine as far as speed and performance on my original 14ft jon boat. So now I just clamp it down on the transom and the anti ventilation plate sits around 1 1/2 inches below the bottom of the boat and I still will get mid 20s or a bit better. I was told that on smaller outboards you won't see much performance difference from raising the motor,some swear by it but like I said I saw no difference. Maybe if I used like a jack plate were you can move the engine back a few inches and raise it,then I'm sure it would make a little difference. I'm happy with mid 20s or so,no reason to alter my transom for a measly mph or so,if any.

Also I forgot to mention,the maintenance kit suzuki gives you in the box is phenomenal. It is I mean everything you can possibly want to change out on your outboard if you choose to do so. The kit alone is a $50-$100 value. They give you everything except oil which is very cheap to get. Some of the stuff in the box you may never even use but they threw it in for extra like certain gaskets,etc... You get 2 new plugs,new on engine fuel/water separator, new oil filter,anodes,gaskets,water pump kit,they give you alot.

scoobeb, you will love the 20hp Zuk! I got one last year for my 1436 jon after the 77 Johnson 25 blew up on the water. Just hit 20 hours on it this past weekend.

Ordered mine from Cumberland too. Great people to deal with. Only thing I need to do is step up on the prop size for my boat. I am hitting the rev limiter every now and then.

Attachments

• 20160430_155352.jpg
    20160430_155352.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,065
Congrats scoobeb on the new zuke. Where do you run your rig, lake Tarpon? I have this visual of you doing laps of Tarpon flat out hour after hour day after day weeks at a time with no end monitoring your mileage with a GPS and flow chart. :mrgreen:

I got a few quotes on a new rigged zuke 60HP 4 stroke. The new light weight one after my tilt and trim started acting up on my '03 Johnson J50PLSTD. Best deal was $7,400 rigged with new control, cables, wiring harness and mid grade tach. SS prop extra. I figured I could rebuild the T@T for around $100 in parts (I did) then sell the freshly painted 50 with controls, cables, harness, tach and choice of SS prop for around $2,500. Engine still blows 127 lbs compression in both jugs so it has lots of life left and runs like a scalded cat. It does suck fuel though, I figure I get around 4.4 MPG at cruise. I figure I could double my mileage with new zuke but it being 45 lbs heavier probably would net only 3-4 MPH WOT more than my 50 HP. That would be 37-38 MPH. A little over what I think is safe in a 18' long W/pods and 6' wide Jon boat. So I crunched the numbers. $5,000 out of pocket after selling the 50 HP equals 2,000 gals of fuel @ $2.50 per gal. 2,000 gals at 4.4 MPG equals 8,800 miles before break even not even considering I would have to buy fuel for the zuke. I decided I'll keep the 50. :oops:

I owned the 20HP zuke last year and it was a great motor for the short time I got to run it. Lost the boat running lines and never found it. I just had the oil changed and maintenance done at the 20hr mark. Last time I'll ever own a boat without insurance. Expensive lesson even though my 1448 hull was ancient and needed to be replaced. I had the electric start model and it was only 106 lbs. That was the most impressive thing to me compared to other brands. Purchased from onlineoutboards.com (cumberland watersports) and couldn't have been happier. They even gave me a military discount and still included the maintenance kit.

I have since replaced my boat with a 1548 Alweld custom and powered it with the Suzuki DF30. The weight on the 25 and 30 were the same so price was the only difference. Only made one test run so far and it was getting around 25 with stock prop. My tach wasn't reading correctly so I'm not sure where I'm at on the rpm's. New tiny tach on the way. My last motor I had to go down one pitch from stock to get my rpms right and it made a huge difference in the way the boat ran.

Hey scoobe. I still have my 4 blade SS 10" Powertech prop. It acts like a 11" because of so much blade area. I got rid of the 15 I had as it was the worst motor I ever had. It ended up still leaking oil after the techs from Suzuki came and rebuilt the powerhead.

Anyway make me a offer if you or anyone else might want it. I also have a Solas 9" 3 blade SS

This is my 3rd 20hp suzuki. I should of never sold the first one I had. I bought and sold my second one because it was on a older but nice 1436 Crestline boat and just having the motor on it brought me way more money then I thought I cold get so I sold it as a package. Now I have this one,the last one I'm going to buy,when I get enough money I'm going to sell it and buy either the brand new 25hp efi suzuki or the new 25hp efi yamaha that just came out. That is some yrs down the line though. I wait a few yrs for yamaha to get all the kinks and bugs out of the outboard because there is usually something they find that needs to be refined on the new outboard. For now I will just enjoy my 20hp. Who knows I may just keep it forever.

Bahahahahahahahhahah , who the hell cares about
10 bucks in fuel when you go fishing . Hell I spend
23 bucks just to get into the lake. Then another 80 bucks
Everytime I go In beer, food , and bait . I'm not rich but to
pick a slower engine because of gas mileage on a little boat
You use twice a month . Come on man. I wish I could buy an
old 2 stroke and use them in California at any lake . 5mph is
A lot . That's a huge difference . Sorry , but I ever understood
10 bucks of gas vs having a fast fun boat.

Duramacr said:
Bahahahahahahahhahah , who the hell cares about
10 bucks in fuel when you go fishing . Hell I spend
23 bucks just to get into the lake. Then another 80 bucks
Everytime I go In beer, food , and bait . I'm not rich but to
pick a slower engine because of gas mileage on a little boat
You use twice a month . Come on man. I wish I could buy an
old 2 stroke and use them in California at any lake . 5mph is
A lot . That's a huge difference . Sorry , but I ever understood
10 bucks of gas vs having a fast fun boat.

First off,this is not just about saving gas money.I actually put thought into this for a while and if i want to go back to a merc or yamaha 25hp 2 stroke i can get them all day long even know this one was a merc of it's own.Speed isn't everything especially when it's windy all the time out in the gulf and you can only do near 25mph or less without getting soaked with water or just to rough to run over 3 foot swells.

Second,if you know anything about motors like i do,an older 2 stroke can blow up real easy as being a premix,now i never said mine would but it can happen from ethanol gas if not taken care of right.You get water from the ethanol in the gas tank it sucks from the bottom of the gas tank,say goodbye to your engine.So you say water/fuel separator,but a lot of people neglect to use them.That will and cannot happen with a 4 stroke due to the engine not being pre mix and worst case is the engine won't start till fresh gas is in it.I go to start my suzuki and one to 2 pulls every time,even if she sat for weeks.The merc i have never had an issue with but 2 strokes with carbs in the past i have and my hand was bleeding after 15 to 20 pulls.

Third,the savings between the suzuki and the merc is astronomical in gas savings if you add up what your saving over the yrs.Add up your estimate which was way off of just $10 a trip times say 52 trips which is a yrs worth once a week,that is $520 minimum in one yr times say 10yrs=$5200.I fish alot so that is putting the bar low.I can also use straight ethanol fuel in my new suzuki will ill effects because everything on this engine is up to code unlike a 25yr old engine.I have full confidence in the 25hp merc i just sold to a gentlemen last week,but some people don't take care of their engines like i do.It will look the same 5yrs from now as when i bought it.

4th,if my merc got stolen my insurance would give me no more than $500 no matter what the condition unlike my suzuki gets stolen and i get a $3750 check even know i paid only $650 for it.I sold the 25yr merc for $1800 and bought my suzuki for only $2450,a deal no one in their right mind would pass up.

5th,if i want a 25hp i will buy the new yamaha efi or the suzuki efi that will be my next outboard when i'm ready to step up.My suzuki does near 26mph with over 1000 lbs of total weight so i'm completely satisfied with it.

So there was alot more then just gas savings put into this.I fish at least once to 5 times a week so your twice a month theory is dead.