97 Johnson 40 HP Lower Unit Screws

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD0405

Reaction score
Hello, I have received this boat / motor from my grandfather. I am in the process of changing the lower unit oil and noticed these two screws that I am not sure what they are. I tried looking it up and I cant find them anywhere. Does anyone here know what they are for ? Thanks in advance !

They may be for adding lubricant to the lower unit, at least that's what they appear to be.

Thanks Guys ! I am unsure what they do either lol I know the Vent screw in the top right of the picture and then the fill screw is below where you cant actually see it in the pic.
I was just curious , thanks again !

Well...be careful of removing screws...There was a boy many years ago that was born with a golden screw instead of a belly button. His parents told him never to remove that screw. He often asked what that screw was for but received no answer. He soon turned 14 years old and his curiosity got the best of him. One day he sat down and took a screwdriver to that screw and removed it....sat there and nothing happened. Figuring he was good to go he stood up and his *** fell off. True story....

Sinkingfast said:
Well...be careful of removing screws...There was a boy many years ago that was born with a golden screw instead of a belly button. His parents told him never to remove that screw. He often asked what that screw was for but received no answer. He soon turned 14 years old and his curiosity got the best of him. One day he sat down and took a screwdriver to that screw and removed it....sat there and nothing happened. Figuring he was good to go he stood up and his *** fell off. True story....

This explains many things...
:)
-W