A few modifications and tweeks....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbertalotto

Reaction score
I sold my Mako 23 a few weeks ago and decided to spend some time on fresh water.

00O0O_lV2iWFUedkE_1200x901-vi.jpg

Found a smok'n deal on a 14'6" Sylvan (1994) with a 2016 Mercury 30hp / 4 stroke with EFI, power tilt and trim, new Optima batteries, 50# trolling motor, Two hummingbird fish finders, trailer, cover, and safety equipment .....Al for $3500!

IMG_20201006_160914034_HDR-vi.jpg

I found the 30hp motor was just too fast for trolling for trout and the electric trolling motor was at times too slow and battery doesn't last all day.

Picked up a Suzuki 2.5HP 4 stroke to use as a kicker.

Had to cut the left side of the transom to get it low enough, but in testing, it still wasn't low enough.

Ordered a bracket off Amazon and mounted it up yesterday.......More Bettah!

IMG_20201112_065824-vi.jpg

IMG_20201112_065833-vi.jpg

Also added a "Walking Deck" on the trailer. Saves me from having to walk in the water on shallow ramps....

IMG_20201111_111442512-vi.jpg

Loving this little boat. Using it nearly every day while the big boat was used maybe two or three times a month!

I'll be adding some more articles on my current and future modification on my web site.... www.rvbprecision.com www.rvbprecision.com

I used a similar bracket to mount my 8 hp Yamaha 4 stroke kicker on my Glen L skiff and it worked well. I did find that it bounced badly while trailering and in choppy water and I feared for longevity of the whole thing. Sooo....I wrapped a ratchet strap around the motor below the powerhead, hooked it to a mooring cleat and snugged it up tight to the transom. No more bouncing and much easier on boat and motor. Food for thought.

Yes, everyone has warned about trailering with the motor on the bracket and in choppy conditions. This 2.5HP motor only weighs 28# so I'll just take it off while trailering and do as you did with a strop in choppy water. Thanks