Best bimini top for 12' X 48" boat ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all , I just wondered if anyone has a Bimini top for a small boat that they really like .
This Florida sun can be a bit much at times .
My boat is a Sea Nymph 12-A , so it's 12' X 48" .
I would prefer as much length as possible .

Thanks for your input .

New member, first post here.

I also have been looking at bimini's for my 12' Sea King, but have heard mix reviews from other fishermen on here. My trolling motor modified paddle boat has one, and it wasn't too difficult to fish under it. but i could see the pain of setting it up or trying to stand under it.
I remember watching 'Swamp People' back in the day and one of those guys fashioned what seemed like a hammock type canvas between a pole on the bow and one back on the stern. I have yet to find a good picture online, so bare with me as i try to explain this from my head to words lol.
I imagine it can be as long as the boat is, as wide as you'd want it (shade from the sides instead of just right under), and the pole height as needed. Couple PVC pipes as bases secured permanently, or even those inserts for elevated seats, and the poles could be made of aluminum and slide right down inside for easy on/off. The canvas could then be rolled for easy storage. To keep the 'hammock' from rolling side to side, I think a couple $2 bungee cords from HF secured from the outer corners to the center pole at downward angles would do the trick.
It makes perfect sense in my mind, but I got a couple of 'uh-huh' head shakes from a guy i explained it to in person. Once i drew it out, he got the point and agreed.
Hopefully my super awesome Paint skills come in handy.
Blue is canvas top, green lines are the bungee cords, poles are black, yada yada..
I can't think of a single pole set up in the back if you've a tiller handle to contend with.
Let me know what you guys think, I'm currently out on the IKE, and if you watch the same news i do, who knows when I'll be back to put these plans in action.

Attachments

• Super Awesome Boat.png
    Super Awesome Boat.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 340
I can't give you any brand recommendations. The bimini I had on my previous 15' boat was tall enough for me to stand under. I think that is a critical factor. Additionally, they can get in the way if you are casting or fighting a fish. I had mine set up so I could quickly disconnect it and let it fall forward if I thought I had a decent fish on. Sadly, I didn't have to do that very often. Haha.

Even though they are open sided, they make huge difference in giving some protection from the sun.

Thanks for the replies , fellas .

Big Wheel , that's a pretty cool concept you've got there .

To be clear , I won't be fishing while I'm under the shade , this would be more for puttering around with the wife .

Even when I fish from this boat , I mainly troll . I don't like throwin and crankin any more .

And I definitely don't stand up much in a 12' semi-vee . :D

jacktheclipper said:
Thanks for the replies , fellas .

Big Wheel , that's a pretty cool concept you've got there .

To be clear , I won't be fishing while I'm under the shade , this would be more for puttering around with the wife .

Even when I fish from this boat , I mainly troll . I don't like throwin and crankin any more .

And I definitely don't stand up much in a 12' semi-vee . :D

"And I definitely don't stand up much in a 12' semi-vee"

That is very wise, IMO.

About all I do is troll also. For trout. But I do manage to pick up large mouth bass & crappie fairly routinely.

Enjoy.

I found this one on eBay for $90. I don't expect it to last more than 3 years. My boat is a 16ft Lund so it's a bit bigger but they have plenty of 2 bow Bimini tops that would fit your boat. I like how this one can be kept in the boot but has the extra bars in the back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200423-005715.png
    Screenshot_20200423-005715.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 283
Thanks for the reply mrdrh99 .

I looked at similar biminis but that particular model and many others were too wide to fit my 48" requirement .

I do like the idea of being able to keep it on the boat .

I have a 14' or 14 1/2' and I put a 4bow on it (8ft) from Ebay and it turned out nice. Still room for the casting deck. Measure your mounting points and start there. Mine is 54" tall and it's high enough to stand under from the floor. I have a mod v and it seems perfect for my application. But if you're worried about casting from the front then go 3 bow (6ft). As for height, the lower it is the more shade you'll get, but be hunched over moving around the boat. Hope that helps! 22469.jpeg22475.jpeg