Bunk sliders upgrade.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
I decided to add some UHMW (Ulta-High Molecula weight polyethelene) to my boat bunks. I picked up a 3'x6' sheet froma previous employer, it was used to protect parts during the assemble process. Part of the maintenence schedule is to replace the bench tops when they get too dirty. So one side is dirty, who cares, there are two sides.

I ripped off two 1-1/2" wide strips 6' long and cut them down to 4'6" long. Leaves them 6" shorter than my 5' long bunks. Drilled some counter sunk holes to mount it to the bunks. Now, the question becomes how do I lift my boatr high enough to attach the sliders?

Tried my 7ton floor jack and a jack stand. lifted the boat about 2 feet, not high enough.

Then I spotted my engine hoist and some chain. Could it, would it, sure the hoist has the power, it must have the reach to clear the front clip that should work.

Work it did, and the sliders made loading/unloading much easier this past weekend. My b oat carried a little extra weight for the camping/fishing trip to Tin Boats Tournament.

Attachments

• 2sliders2.JPG
    2sliders2.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 722
  • 1sliders.JPG
    1sliders.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 722
  • 28boatloaded.JPG
    28boatloaded.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 722
Nice! I need to put some slides on my bunks. I used treated wood before I knew it was a sin. Is that stuff common cuz id sure like to find it free somewhere rather than pay cabelas prices.

Good idea.

The only thing that I (just my opinion) see wrong with it is that your strips should have been a lot wider. You are putting a lot of otherwise unsupported load on a narrow strip of plastic. You may experience problems of the hull deforming along those strips in the future.

basshunter25 said:
Nice! I need to put some slides on my bunks. I used treated wood before I knew it was a sin. Is that stuff common cuz id sure like to find it free somewhere rather than pay cabelas prices.

I too used treated wood, however I covered it with carpet.
I got mine free from a local CAT supplier plant. Call a few of the local car/truck/heavy equipment manufactures and ask to speak to someone in the maintenance department. If they use it, they typically throw it out, see if oyu can score a piece or two. Otherwise I have two pieces 1 1/2" wide by 1'6" long, there yours if you cover shipping. I could slice them up to fit in one of those anything fits it ships for one low price boxes USPS is promoting, althought they dont weigh much too begin with and it might be cheaper to put them in one of those cardboard envelopes.

Quackrstackr said:
Good idea.

The only thing that I (just my opinion) see wrong with it is that your strips should have been a lot wider. You are putting a lot of otherwise unsupported load on a narrow strip of plastic. You may experience problems of the hull deforming along those strips in the future.

yea, I wondered about how wide to make them. Figured if I went too wide I'd fullfil the horror stories you hear of people having their boat slide off the trailer when they brake while backing to unload. Seen a guy this weekend almost lose his boat at the ramp, he trailer has roller bunks and Mom? was trying to hold onto it. Will (wasilvers) being the gentleman he is, jumped into action and caught the boat just in time.

I settled on the 1-1/2" wideth mostly becuase that was the wideth of the bunk under the boat when I originally picked up the boat/trailer. Plus the bunk is aligned with the ribs (proper term?) that runs the length of the boat.

Well I have 6ft bunks so if you have two pieces that are 18 inches long each I could cut them to 3, 6inch chunks and space them out front middle back which I imagine would be sufficient to hold the boat and slide nice. If you wouldn't mind shipping them my way Id be more than willing to cover it. I could send a check or make the payment through paypal whatever you prefer. Just pm me the info. Thanks alot.