Console in a 16- advice please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunttux

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice please. I have this 16’ misty river with a side console in it. I am in the process of redoing the wood on the bench seats, and am motivated to tweak the steering console. I’m just a little stuck on what is feasible/makes the most sense.

The existing side console is just some plywood bolted to angle iron below the gunnel. Sticks out ~2ft towards the Center of the boat, unsupported on the inboard side.

I’d love to raise it a few inches- tight cause of the steering cable length, but feasible. More importantly though, I’d like to get the whee closer to the center of the boat.

Should I just hang a slightly longer console? I fee like that won’t be very stable. Wouldn’t want the whole thing to collapse as I go over a wave cause of the leverage exerted on the angle iron by the gunnel.

Could I support it to the floor using wood? I.e. cut to length and wedge in place vertical supports on the inboard side? Any concern with that putting too much pressure and flex a gain at the aluminum hull?

Open to ideas. Never really tried to change the structure in a tin boat.

Thanks

Attachments

• 89C848E0-7E96-4047-935C-48A5767A551C.jpeg
    89C848E0-7E96-4047-935C-48A5767A551C.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 3ACB7516-B740-480A-BD6C-1A2439CDBFB1.jpeg
    3ACB7516-B740-480A-BD6C-1A2439CDBFB1.jpeg
    528.9 KB · Views: 247
Steering cables are reasonably priced. They have a limited lifespan so maybe a new longer one is justified. Might give you more options.

True, but I think I may just get what I can out of what I have. I have enough play to get it where I want, I think. Just gotta figure out the most effective way to mount a console without breaking the bank.

I’m thinking maybe bracing it against the seat in front, as opposed to the gunnel. Can’t decide

Attachments

• 0F23DF3F-AD6B-4996-A649-C7FFEC944716.jpeg
    0F23DF3F-AD6B-4996-A649-C7FFEC944716.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 213
Unless you want to walk around it, attach it to the side and seat bench. That is standard for side consoles. Yours will just be more towards the center than normal. And, you already have holes on the side so you don't have to drill new ones to attach your new and improved console.

Looks like you had room enough as it was to move it a few inches.... I'd try that before dropping more $$ on it.

If that were my boat, I'd think about making a new center console in the middle of the bench. I prefer to stand when piloting the boat around shallows, or making any speed runs. You can make it any height you want if you move it back a bit. The controls can be mounted to the side of the console instead of the side of the boat as well. Looks like a fun project!

Latest posts