David's 2017 Tracker 1542 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like for anyone to correct me here if im wrong but, man it depends on how you roll. You want the largest battery you can fit, with the highest amp hour rating you can find. BUT big batteries are BIG, and big batteries are HEAVY! If you zip around trolling all day full blast then i doubt it. If its windy or you are fighting a current then its out the window. Morning trip out, then evening trip , laying low durring the heat of the day, it should be good to go. Wide open it will be good for about 2.5 hours or so. Thats wide open, with max amp draw. And thats prolly going to throw you over a 50% discharge level. Over 50% discharge is not good for the battery and its servicable life span. Just trolling and floating prolly be good for twice that time.... maybe more. That is of coarse if thats the only thing running off of that battery. Every gotta have it electrical device you run on that thing will chip away at run time. If you fish sun up to sun down im not sure its enough battery for you. And if you do run it all day its gotta go on the charger that night. Everytime you run that battery down followed by a recharge your run time will get shorter and shorter. How quickly the run time gets shorter will depend on how well you tend to that battery. Did you get a good charger? Also ive noticed that academy dosent turn their battery stock very often..... or ever. I'd check the build date on the battery and if its older then 6 months i'd shy away. Look for fresh ones. Buying an old deepcycle is like starting a marathon with a broken leg. There is an academy by me that has an optima blue top, thats been sitting on the shelf for 15 months! Make sure you fuse and ground it appropriately. Id suggest putting it on a circuit breaker. And educate yourself on required power and ground wire size. If you put that battery in the back, and make the run all the way to the front, you will need to run 6 gauge wire. The amp draw on that motor is probably around 40 amps or so. I'm not 100% on that though. If you mount the battery up in the bow you can use 10 gauge.

That battery will last a good long time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jezreel said:
Why not use treated wood? ? ? i never heard that.
Treated today is done with a copper solution, copper and aluminum do funny things together, none of them nice. It's possible to ruin the hull in a year.
Rodney

I did a 16 foot tracker's tm wire, I used #6 welding cable front to rear. It's pricey but it's flexible which makes it easier to run and the insulation allows it to be wet and is thick enough to protect the wire from anything you'll do to it. I would also use the heaviest connectors I can find, it's overbuilding but you'll not have as many problems down the line.
Rodney

I am redoing my 1542 right now but here's what I previously did that might help you with your build. My current redo follows this layout but with few adders. Once I get it done in a week or two I will post a new thread.

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42117

Oldfart9999 said:
I did a 16 foot tracker's tm wire, I used #6 welding cable front to rear. It's pricey but it's flexible which makes it easier to run and the insulation allows it to be wet and is thick enough to protect the wire from anything you'll do to it. I would also use the heaviest connectors I can find, it's overbuilding but you'll not have as many problems down the line.
Rodney
Great idea! Really appreciate it I think I'm gunna try and do the same

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Been behind on this project i had a kayak tourney to prepare for,Now I'm back at it.Just got the first piece of ply cut for the deck,Still have to cut the hatches and pick up carpet tomorrow.Hardest part is done so should move along quickly now.
841df957893e62ae5d7b98f203208b1b.jpg

Added the back bench plywood and carpeted it just to get it out the way,Been busy at work but I'll be finishing the deck before the weekend.I want to get the deck done asap so I can mount the trolling motor and go fishing! And just work on the boat throughout the season as I get ideas from you all.
63bd0aed3597324829b5189a5dc8d5e3.jpg

Got the front half of the deck completed so I'll be able to make a trolling motor bracket and mount it.The second piece of the deck is gunna have all kinds of cool hatches my dad and I are designing.This entire thing will be removable.Question,I see alot of guys just using wood for trolling motor brackets,Is that just fine to do?As long as it secured well to the deck?
31c3bfb34def2e0d38858a8b26849099.jpg

I will be looking forward to seeing how you mount your trolling motor. That is where I am at with my 1542 build. That and the fish finder.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1,481
Great job. I have the same boat and considering doing a similar modification. How stable is the boat with 2 people? Do you like the offset stern seat?