Drive shaft seal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charger25

Reaction score
Well after searching through about 100 posts and still not finding a good answer, is a special tool needed to pull the drive shaft out of the lower unit? its a 1983 E8RCTA Evinrude 7.5 I need to replace the seals as its leaking oil.

Charger25 said:
Well after searching through about 100 posts and still not finding a good answer, is a special tool needed to pull the drive shaft out of the lower unit? its a 1983 E8RCTA Evinrude 7.5 I need to replace the seals as its leaking oil.

I've used a seal puller. You can get one for about $10. I've heard others say use a screw driver to pry them out.
Your call.

SDC12050.jpg

I used a long screwdriver to tap mine out from the bottom. If your not taking apart the gear case I would take Jasper's recommendation on the seal puller. I also saw a YouTube video where the guy put two machine screws into the seal and used a slide hammer to remove them so he did not have to disassemble the whole lower unit.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm talking about how to get the drive shaft out to change the seals.

Bass n flats , I just watched the same vid, it was on a 225 Yamma I believe. I might try that.

crazymanme2, That water pump base doesn't want to come out,looks like I'm gonna have to bust it up.

would think you would have to pull the gear out and remove the nut on the end of the shalf . that is what i had to do on my 1979 55 hp .maby this will help

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1983/J8RCTA/GEARCASE/parts.html