Electric start for 73 18hp evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,
Im curious if anyone can point me in the direction of the parts I would need for an electric start for my 1973 evinrude 18hp. I was gonna trade my 73 18hp and my 84 15hp for something a little bigger with the luxury of electric start but a guy I spoke with about a 20hp said not to trade my motors just to add my own electric start. He told me he could do it for me for 275 but if I could do it myself I’d like to. Thanks!

I have a 1974 25hp with electric start.. my motor does not charge the battery though.
if you can find a starter motor and a solenoid etc. For less than $275 that would be a rare deal. I'd be apprehensive about dumping that kind of money in a 50 year old motor tho.

Well here is the bracket, and that isn't counting the cost of the solenoid, starter, switch etc. And if you are going to do it they are pretty hard to find.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-EVINRUDE-OMC-317328-308482-ELECTRIC-STARTER-BRACKET-FITS-18-to-25HP-RARE/124301082618?hash=item1cf0ebfffa:g:KVYAAOSwExJfOVqg

Electric start is nice. I had a 20 with electric start. Like mentioned, they don't charge the battery unless you swap the stator I believe. The later motors do but they have a small charging capacity, about 4 amps or so I think. Enough to keep a cranking battery charged. In my opinion, the 15 is worth more than the 18 and selling them both should put you in the price range for an early to mid 90's 20-25-30 which are all the same weight and great reliable outboards. If you are attached to the 18, 275 is a small amount to pay for the convenience.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I paid more than that just for the parts. Seller's market, many guys want to do this upgrade. It is worth it iMO. How much money to buy a different motor?

I’m not super attached to the 18 actually. My goal is to trade up for bigger for when I do my conversion this winter (thanks to all the amazing info on this site, I’ve got the conversion bug). The parts list is kinda pricey so I may just take Weldor’s advice and sell to get bigger.

To give you an idea how few parts there are out there for the conversion I have a 1957 Johnson 18 that I found the ring gear for the flywheel, the starter bracket, starter, front pan with the correct receiver for the factory harness, and the factory 3-wire harness.
I have the engine sold to a fellow that wants the parts for the conversion. Would not strip the engine. He has a very nice 1958 18hp Johnson, non electric start, restored already. He is giving me the 1958 plus a little cash for the 1957 and the 1957 is still missing the cowling! Thankfully they are easier to find than the bracket is!