Gluvit over small amount of 5200

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper33

Reaction score
Wondering how soon is safe to apply Gluvit after applying small amounts of 5200.

I have replaced some leaky rivets on the keel of my jon boat. When I did I applied some 5200 to the rivets and holes they were being installed in. Only a small amount of 5200, nothing "Caulked" on. I know the 5200 is not fully cured for 7 days. Would it safe to apply gluvit, on the rivets, both interior and exterior, prior to the full 7 days, or will that prevent the 5200 from fully curing?

Thank you for any insight.

You might cinsider looking at a product call " clear seal patch" availiable thru Home Depot and Tractor Supply. It is a clear roof coating material that is really tough when it dries. I used it on my jon boat years back. Paint it on with a brush, milky wgite but dries clear. Leaves a heavy plastic like coating that is tough. I actuall had slots worn thru the ribs from dragging it over sand and rocks. Brushed both inside and outside, then painted over it with rustoleum enamel. Paint is gone, worn thru but not the clear seal, jon boat still gets dragged over sand and rocks regularly. Thisxwas 5 years ago and still O leaks !! Not sure about the 5200, I know it is good stuff but waiting till full cure, cant say. If you had discovered clear seal before, you would already be done and leak free. Check it out.

Like other polyxxxx goops, 5200 cures in ‘air’, so I would not cover until until completely cured. Now with that said, while it cures underwater … it takes a lot longer, at least twice as long.

Personally I would have applied West Systems G-Flex 650 over Gluvit (as it is a flexible epoxy) and then applied 5200, but what is done is done.

airshot said:
You might cinsider looking at a product call " clear seal patch" availiable thru Home Depot and Tractor Supply. It is a clear roof coating material that is really tough when it dries. I used it on my jon boat years back. Paint it on with a brush, milky wgite but dries clear. Leaves a heavy plastic like coating that is tough. I actuall had slots worn thru the ribs from dragging it over sand and rocks. Brushed both inside and outside, then painted over it with rustoleum enamel. Paint is gone, worn thru but not the clear seal, jon boat still gets dragged over sand and rocks regularly. Thisxwas 5 years ago and still O leaks !! Not sure about the 5200, I know it is good stuff but waiting till full cure, cant say. If you had discovered clear seal before, you would already be done and leak free. Check it out.

Do you remember the brand?

When I google clear seal patch quite a number of products came up just want to be sure.

Thank you in advance!

It comes in a blue can and has the name " clear seal patch" across the front of the can. Will try to post a pic in a little while. I just pulled it up for a friend a couple weeks back under "Home Despot" and the light blue can showed up. I cant believe how much abuse this stuff has taken and yes it does stay flexible. I also tried it as a foof patch as it is advertised for, been on my barn roof for over 5 years and still is clear, it has lasted far beyond any of the typical black roof patch material !!

Ok, here are pics of the can, hope they come thru...

Attachments

• 20220829_123812.jpg
    20220829_123812.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220829_123747.jpg
    20220829_123747.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220829_123735.jpg
    20220829_123735.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
This stuff has been on my jon boat for over 5 years and it sits out in the weather, been covered in snow, filled with rain and frozen, dragged over sand beach and numerous rocks and this stuff still looks like I just put it on. It feels like a thick plastic coating that expands and contracts, no sign of peeling or comming loose even on my barn roof, where the black roof sealer has long failed and they were put on at the same time !