Have any of you upgraded your Minn Kota PD to I-Pilot w/BT? Questions....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Influx 99,
I have a 22 bay boat and a 16 tin, so we have similar tastes!

I have a 48" STerrova on my 16. It's a CP/AP, and I will probably upgrade it to IP soon.
I have a 60" SP on the big boat because I got it free. I don't love the deploy, but don't care much. I sprayed the shaft with something, (can't remember right this second) and it made deploying SO MUCH EASIER. Fluid Film, maybe???

I have yet to install the upgrade kit. Was going to do it, but then had to cut up a fallen tree, and never got back to it. Live suddenly has gotten busy, and I haven't been fishing. But I will soon, I promise!

I’ve had Minn Kotas on different boats and here are some of my experiences.

I have friends with the Minn Kota Powerdrives (12v and 24v, fresh and Riptide saltwater models) on their tin boats. I hate the deploy feature on them. Others may say "you'll get used it it", but honestly it's clunky. Another thing that's annoying is the power drive 24v is only 70lb thrust. The Terrova 12v is 80lb.

I will agree on the Powerdrives deploy mechanism. Seems like you need three hands to operate it smoothly, you can get by with it, but the Terrova is so much better in that regard.

The other distinction between the two, a Terrova retains the foot pedal option with Ipilot, the Powerdrive does not. Granted, I never use the foot pedal, but I like to have it as a backup in case the remote were to get lost or the batteries die.

I agree, they are not as easy to deploy. But if you lubricate it, it pops out almost as smoothly.

I plan to buy a mini remote. Having two of anything important is something I try to have. I currently have a foot pedal, and never use it.

I agree, they are not as easy to deploy. But if you lubricate it, it pops out almost as smoothly.

I plan to buy a mini remote. Having two of anything important is something I try to have. I currently have a foot pedal, and never use it.

Silicone grease is part of my 6 months maintenance schedule. Makes a huge difference.

Latest posts