Help with Ted Williams 4.5 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ggoldy said:
That looks MUCH cleaner than my Johnson was! Coil looks new. Points and condenser and you may be in business.
If you look closely at the enlarged version of pics 4 & 5 you can see the aluminum/silver paint over spray on the condensor and it's wires, as well as the bottom half of the coil that wasn't masked off. I'm pretty sure I see some yellow over spray as well. So in this case, I think looks can be deceiving and you'll want to test everything because someone has been under there before for what ever reason.

JMichael said:
ggoldy said:
That looks MUCH cleaner than my Johnson was! Coil looks new. Points and condenser and you may be in business.
If you look closely at the enlarged version of pics 4 & 5 you can see the aluminum/silver paint over spray on the condensor and it's wires, as well as the bottom half of the coil that wasn't masked off. I'm pretty sure I see some yellow over spray as well. So in this case, I think looks can be deceiving and you'll want to test everything because someone has been under there before for what ever reason.
I noticed the paint over spray myself. Gonna have to take another look though cause I don't remember seeing the yellow :). Even wondered if that could have any effect contributing to the problem.
Found a new set of points and condenser on Ebay for this model of motor. $11 and change and a new coil also for $22 and change. Think I'll go find a lawnmower shop and see what they would charge for for these parts. Thinking also a new spark plug wire also, while I've got it all tore apart.

Y_J said:
SumDumGuy said:
Not alot of time, will comment further tomorrow.

Check out the troubleshooting guide at this link (link is mine and is safe)....

https://jmp.sh/GktxvH8
Got it and downloaded after reading it.. Thanks so much SDG. Gives me some info to work with. Really appreciate it.

Looks like some good info

Y_J said:
SumDumGuy said:
Does that motor use metallic core spark plug wire?
Now, that I don't know. How would I find/figure that out? And what's the difference?

To figure it out I would guess a resistance measurement could be taken (what the reading needs to be I dunno - pro'lly real low with metal conductor).

The difference is metallic core has a low resistance thus "optimal electrical charge" can be delivered to the spark plug. The draw back to this wire is it also generates a lot of RF interference.
The other "normal" wire is a carbon based "wire." This type minimizes RF noise. but the draw back is it has higher resistance which reduces the electric "stuff" at the plug.

I am not positive, but I think that all {???} points type ignitions use the metallic core wire.

Right on. I'll see what I can dig up.
In the mean time I got my tongue extention welded on yesterday and the winch post reworked from a 90 degree to a 30 degree angle and re welded today. Got the bow eye installed today also. Also aquired a bow stop and a tongue roller today. Little by little making some progress. Wooooot

Whatsa happenin?

giphy.gif

Got the new points and condencer in the mail a couple days ago. Just haven't got them on the motor yet. Got rain and thunder storms headed our way and been trying to get the garage done before they get here. LOL I've been using a rototiller to dig the dirt I need to level the floor with, and it was working out great, untill today. I ran out of gas and I'm out of $$ until Wed. and the 1st storm comes thru on Tue. Ugggg. Guess I'll have to start digging the old fashion way, with a shovel.
Once that is done, the Ted Williams is the 1st order of business.
I did re-test the compression on the Gamefisher a few days ago and consistantly came up with 85 PSI. There might be some hope for that motor yet.