Homemade 14' Vee????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocbinva

Reaction score
Well debated if I wanted a project of this magnitude but figured what the heck. For $400 I got the boat and trailer with titles, 7.5 Gamefisher and Motorguide 43lb salt water trolling motor and all the other coast guard stuff. The last owner put in a particle board floor riveting through the sides (under the water line) with hollow rivets, and painted it with (his words) “High Quality Oil House Paint”. Well needless to say I will gut and strip the boat, seat riviets, gluvit inside and steel flex outside. The title says homemade and I think it looks it but most boats older than 1970 tinny’s here in VA are listed as homemade. It is 14” and 44” wide. I like how narrow it is cause the lake closest to me is electric only. Plus this boat is way too small for the bay anyways. Its too narrow for a deck but I will install a slat floor. Any insight or ideas are appreciated!

P1060264.JPGP1060255.JPGP1060249.JPGP1060253.JPGP1060254.JPG

That particle board casting deck is saaaweeet! :D Man, if I were you I'd just paint over it with some high quality oil house paint. No sense redoing all of that fine craftsmanship.

Seriously, though. I think it'll turn out pretty cool. I like the narrow profile a lot.

Well I am near Yorktown, After I retired from the military I settled here to be close to my kids. Well last night I got a quart of paint stripper from walmart. Thought I would try the cheap stuff before I buy the expensive stuff. I tried a 2 foot area and in 15 min about 95% of the paint bubbled off. I can tell they did not use an etching primer. I am hoping this will be the same for the whole boat!! I have to work crazy hours this month but I hope to get at least one hour a day to do a little. Once I get some warm weekends I can do allot more!!! BTW that is the best thing to use to buff out the aluminum prior to paint? ALso when I remove the hollow rivets he used under the water line I was planning on removing his brackets and use new rivet with 5200 to fill the hole. Or does anyone think filling the holes with an aluminum welding stick will work better???? Rick