How to Secure Bow Line?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Clay

Reaction score
I‘m sure that you can tell I’m new to this. I googled bow line but I don’t see any standard way that folks attach the bow line to the boat. Some use a snap hook, some use a zig zag cleat, some do a granny knot. I bought one of these lines for my 14’ v hull aluminum boat. I put the braided eye through the eye on my bow then put the running end through the braided eye and cinched it up. Then I tied a bowline in the running end. Now my winch hook barely fits on the eye. My thought is that I can use that bowline on a dock cleat if I ever fish near a dock. Or snub it off on a tree. Am I doing anything wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpeg
    IMG_0562.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I tie the bow line to the bow eye with a bowline knot. The length should be that if it fell overboard and went under the hull, it would not catch the prop. This you can adjust with the bowline, cutting off any excess and whip finishing it to trim the end. Seal the last 1/2” or so with liquid electrical tape.

I use 3-strand nylon; don’t care for braided lines … yeah they may be stronger, but they are more brittle because they do not have any stretch. Another pet peeve with lines is that most people use a line rated for the next higher class size and weight boat.

A guy at my boat dock the other day was having problems getting his lines tied to the cleats, using 1/2” lines on a 14’ tin skiff, give me a break!

I tie the bow line to the bow eye with a bowline knot. The length should be that if it fell overboard and went under the hull, it would not catch the prop. This you can adjust with the bowline, cutting off any excess and whip finishing it to trim the end. Seal the last 1/2” or so with liquid electrical tape.

I use 3-strand nylon; don’t care for braided lines … yeah they may be stronger, but they are more brittle because they do not have any stretch. Another pet peeve with lines is that most people use a line rated for the next higher class size and weight boat.

A guy at my boat dock the other day was having problems getting his lines tied to the cleats, using 1/2” lines on a 14’ tin skiff, give me a break!
Thank you. I’ll try it.

Thank you. I’ll try it.

I put deck cleats on my boat at all 4 corners, if they are not there, I put them there !! Each corner has its own rope, thru the cleat and back over the top. Always there when I need them. Bow eye is for the winch strap and safety chain. Each line is stored in a mesh bag attached to the inside of the hull, the mesh holds the line and allows it to air dry. Used three strand for years but hated it, about 25 years ago switched to braid, will never look back, much easier to work with !! I do use three strand on my anchor line.

If your boat doesn't have cleats, you may want to add a couple. Just think where you want them. In one of my boats, the cleats are inside the gunnels, not sticking up. On the other, I have two in the back corners and one behind the bow light.

To each his own, but I have found the braided to be easier to splice. With my arthritus, I don't do much splicing anymore, looks don't seem to mean as much when your hands hurt. I buy my dock lines already spliced, and my hands appreciate me for that!!

Latest posts