JC's 1436 Alumna MOD - front deck storage HATCH DESIGN

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcaswell

Reaction score
Friends- I need your creative insight- on what I should do with my front deck storage comparment. I have added photos and plans below!

My front storage comp for my 1436 isnt a large area. i want to store my batteries in there. ones a stradard big boy thats 11'' wide 7" tall etc. The prob is that the storage area bows upward as the front of Jons do, to meet the edge of the front bench, therefor the storage area is deep at first (11.5'' at the rib and shallows up to 7" or so at the front by the front bench walls. I can secure the batteries etc, and they are at an "angle" but theres not alot of depth to access the compartment. esp if i built a hatch door in the front ply wall, it would be a pain to reach in there, re wire, charge batts, remove batts etc. SO i am thinking I must build an access hatch/door in the top ply deck of the the new ply deck to easily access the storage comp, to access with batts, wiring, toggle switches/power box etc.

The question is , how to do it. so its A) stable B) looks good C) the 3/4" play doesnt warp at the door/hatch area. So i have designed several options. either

a) build a hatch "door" homemade with ply and carpet it etc.
B) hinge the entire front ply deck in some fashion, like a big hood I can open ( SEE PLANS BELOW)

C) order a nice pre made one like this link below ( can I walk fish on this?)
https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=434357&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50667&subdeptNum=50680&classNum=50682

THANKS AND look Fwd to input from this great group

Attachments

• front storage comp.JPG
    front storage comp.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 780
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 780
  • 1436 Front Deck Hatch Storage Access Plan.png
    1436 Front Deck Hatch Storage Access Plan.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 780