Lake Ontario, July 16, 2011

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
Took the tin out on Humber Bay early Saturday morning to try out the new trolling rig for salmon. Waters were calm and my hopes were high when I spotted some salmon jumping about 2 km off shore. The rod is a 10 1/2 foot Shimano Talora "dipsy" and it was paired with a Cabela's Depthmaster gold reel spooled with 500 yards of 50 lb power pro. i had it rigged up with a magnum dipsy diver and a Luhr-Jensen J-Plug.

Furst thing - that magnum dipsy is like trolling with an anchor attached to your line. I knew that was going to happen and I had installed a Down-East Salty double clamp rod holder. However, because the gunnels on my Tracker are round, the clamp would not hold the tremedous pressure of the dipsy. So, I had to prop the rod behind the fish-finder mount.

Well, the dipsy performed beautifully as did the rod and reel. I was able to get the lure dow to 80 feet very quickly. Marked a couple of fish on the finder and saw a few miore jump, but no luck.

I'm sending the rod holder back to Cabela's and have invested in a couple of fluch-mount rocket-launcher style holders that I am fgoing to muont in the forward bench seat.

I cant imagine fishing 80' deep, I'm going to ask a stupid question, does bringing up a fish from that depth cause a problem with the bladder?