Lowe 14' Bass Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachvu

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to the site, and someone from Bass Resource sent me over this way. I have been looking to make my boat a little more functional, and have come to the right place! This boat was given to me by my grandpa when he moved, so I thought I'd set it up the way I wanted for bass fishing. I'm generally on smaller lakes, so the size is pretty ideal.

This is all just roughed in, but is a good start. I'm looking for any advice or things to look out for as far as where I currently am with the design. The deck will span the port side and front of the boat, with the rear seat and cockpit area intact. Center cooler will be a livewell, and small rod storage under the left deck. Trolling motor was for mock-up photos only, as a foot control should be here Friday.

Without further ado, here are the photos as it currently stands, and you can probably tell where I'm going with it!

EEC4F61E-6DA6-446E-9EF4-0CE8FFD2A648.jpg

2C9F371C-1156-436F-8C2B-3DCDAD254300.jpg

3D7E8BB8-DE96-4C1D-BA79-4C81C203CC3B.jpg

851B7EF2-296E-4930-A06D-558B4A6FCE04.jpg

D4B8C4DC-2408-4796-A9EF-008BB03DCB2D.jpg

That's a pretty unique steering console - is that something your grandfather put together himself?

Only thing I see is your deck level is going to be quite high off the floor. You mentioned you'll be using this on relatively small water bodies, so it might not be an issue. V hull boats are less stable when you stand on them then their flat bottomed counterparts, so you might want to lay those support 2x4's on their face rather than sides and lower the profile of the final deck.

Also, dunno what your budget is, but if you can afford to use aluminum rather than wood it will save you a lot of weight.

Thanks onthewater102! The steering console was setup like that when he purchased it a few years back. Any reasons you can see to change it, or ideas or what to possibly modify? I thought about going to a tiller or something similar, but have kind of grown to like it! I had wood on the floors before, so they were raised up higher, but wanted to go completely flush. I usually stand on the bench and fish, and she stays pretty stable (again, on small waters). The wood floors that were in there were all 2x4's, similar to a deck on a house. The buoyancy was still good with those and 3 people, so figure they probably weigh about the same as plywood and 3 2x4's.

I could go flat on the 2x4's and lower my center of balance, but do you think they would flex more? That was my original reason for doing them sideways. I also liked that it gave me enough clearance to fit rods under one side. Maybe I'll take it out tonight with a test setup and see how it feels!

you're talking a short span laminated with a sheet of plywood - if you've got 3 2x4's you'll be fine.

I'm thinking more and more about weight savings.... I may just go the joist hanger route between the front and middle seats, and then carpet over that. It would save me a little weight in framing, and a whole lot of weight in the plywood! Then (if there's room) do a recessed foot pedal between the two batteries up front, in front of the front seat.