Lowrance fish finder master opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcaswell

Reaction score
Ok, wow the world of Fishfinders is quite vast these days! I would love the 2 cents of my Tin Boat Mentors!

So, I got a regular old fishfinder a mark5 I think.

I am going to upgrade to a real one.

Concerning Lowrance- theres the "downscan" feature on the none "hd gen2" and then theres the Gen2's that have the ability to add the $500 add on "Structure Scan LSS2"

The new units run from $500 and up- and you can then add the Scructure scan which is $500 more. See link below-

LOWRANCE LSS-2 StructureScan® HD Processor Module without Transducer at West Marine

Whats the deal with just the "Down Scan " Feature vs upgraded to the Structure Scan LSS2 ? This is quite an investment either way- but I am rebuilding my Jon boat and want to do it right but also want to do my homework on these new fishfinders-

Whats Yalls 2 cents- Spend $1500 on the new school HDS Gen2 with Structure Scan or Spend say $700 on a new Lowrance® Elite-7 HDI Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo ??

thanks ! Jim

If you go for the "structurescan" option on a HDS unit, you get both downscan and side scan, not just one or the other, but both. Both are included in the additional $500 cost, and should include the "black box" and the LSS -1 or 2 TD. I think the new "HDS touch" models have the SS/DS feature/module "inside" the HU so there is not a seperate black box to mount with the touch models. Not 100% on this but thinking I read that somewhere.

I have a HDS 8 with SS/DS, and have the HU, and a black box, and 2 TD's (2d TD and the SS/DS TD).

All depends on if you ever see yourself using multiple locators. The HDS series was made to be networked, so you can share information between units like GPS info, sonar info, transducers (eg if you have one up front on the bow and want to see that info in the rear). The Elite series are made to be stand alone, with a little bit of connectivity through the NEMA2000 connection.

Then you need to figure if you need the Side scan feature. Sidescan (Lowrance calls it Structurescan) is only available on the LSS module, which requires an HDS unit to work with it. The newest HDS Touch units already have the LSS modules built into the heads of the finders already, you just need to buy the transducer later if you want it.

For me, the most important things I wanted were: Screen size, color, GPS, and accurate sonar. The Downscan would have been nice, but the large screen was what I really really wanted. Had the Elite 7 been available when I bought my HDS7, I would have bought the Elite 7 for sure - it does everything I wanted, and I don't see myself needing two finders with the way I fish. I also figured that by the time I move up to a new boat, I'll probably look at new electronics, so why spend that kind of money on something that'll be outdated in a few years - I was okay taking the loss (because any money spent on electronics is a loss, I don't care who you are) on a $600ish piece of equipment. A grand and a half, well - I don't fish that much.... :?

My opinions only, your situation may be different.

Latest posts