Lund V-hulls and skinny water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fish out of my buddies 17ft Lund with a 115 Yamaha. Mostly on Georgian Bay, Lake Huron where it's big deep water. We do several trips a year to smaller skinny waters and while the big Lund will float in about 2 ft, it's a lot of weight when you do bang the bottom. It's a heavy solid boat that handles rougher water than I like to fish in. For skinny waters, I prefer my 16 ft Naden (similar to ssv). I can float in inches and when you rub rock, there isn't a pile of weight behind it.
A person really needs several boats to cover all the bases!

I had the 18' CC built in 1979 with a 70 Johnson on it. Great boat !! Caught lots of fish with it !! As far as price...condition and how she runs means everything !!

My North River Mariner is a fairly heavy boat. It has a 5 degree dead rise. Will see what the draft is when I put it on the water in a month or so.

I prefer a smaller boat for the skinny water and that’s my justification for two boats.

My big boat doesn't draft much more than the little boat. Surprising since one is a 1436 with a 5hp 2 stroke and the other is a 20 ft center console with a 150hp 4 stroke. I can pole both through 12" ...18" and I can use the outboard on the big boat with the jack plate all the way up. Where the little boat shines is in inches of water I can easily drag it over rocks logs whatever quite easily.

I bass fish 3' water with my 21' Sylvan deep V with a whole bunch of weight on the stern. I just use the trolling motor to fish skinny. I don't think it draws more than 18-20" but I'm also not scared of a little incidental, low speed contact:p