MonArk Mod 16' V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
=D> =D> =D>

Your boat looks great. No questions, just admiration for the metal and electrical work.

Thanks Ictalurus :)

Like a lot of guys here I like the planning and execution - then enjoying the end result. I thought we might splash the boat this weekend but we're not quite there yet.

There was about a cup of water in the bilge this morning. pH tested at 8.3. That's good - it tells me I removed all the nasty sulfuric and hydrofluoric acid. But there is residual from the ammonia wash that still needs to go.

I put the boat back to level to do some work and more water accumulated [tested 8.9] so I jacked up the back of the trailer to put it in a bow down attitude. There are pockets that are holding water. I could just get to that water from the deck hatch with the shop vac and an extension. It was contaminated but tested basic.

I assigned trailer light replacement to my 13 yo son [it's spring vacation]. He knocked it out in about 3 hours and everything works as designed. It's important to teach kids how to use tools. He ran across some carriage bolts that just spun and he got frustrated. I told him to use the sawsall. He still has ten fingers :)

Houston - We have ignition 8)

Finally finished the wiring today. It took longer than it should have. Put the battery in, fresh tank of gas, muffs on the intake and fired it up. Purrr. Gotta love it.

Forgot to turn the camera flash off on the first shot

TFb0Ate.jpg

This is better

XwgRN46.jpg

I put an LED deck light on the back of the tool box to illuminate the transom and bilge

I8Eax7U.jpg

I also put one in the bow deck [and some in the bench seat not yet installed]. These are too bright. I will need to tone them down. I'm thinking red nail polish - because it's lacquer and may bond with the acrylic LED lens... Anyone done this?

jfjBDPJ.jpg

I was able to get a couple of hours on the river last weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't have the tach calibrated properly and left instructions home :(

I did eyeball the engine height before splashing and raised the engine 3 inches higher than when it was bolted on the transom.

jH3mlU0.jpg

The cav plate is still a little buried.

7odJ1Lf.jpg

28 mph fully loaded w/ 2 people.

I calibrated the tachometer and raised the engine other nine [9] threads - so, almost an inch. Now it's too high :roll:

iWczYMM.jpg

We did 36 miles on the Merrimack River today on less than one tank. That includes numerous no wake zones and putting around looking for shad.

On the down river run we opened it up. The tach hit 5800+ rpm at 31 mph. This is tidal and incoming from 18 miles downstream so river current was slowed a bit.

The motor trim was critical though and very touchy.

On the way back home there was a wind chop. We opened it up again and couldn't get past 5400 rmp at 28+ mph before it would ventilate.

60W426T.jpg

VpUIkVy.jpg

Here's how it looked running:

LTgRsL0.jpg

[youtube]HvHs1OvL3pA[/youtube]

I'm going to drop the engine down a bit.

Was out in Salem Harbor this weekend. Nice 2' wind chop yesterday afternoon made for a bouncy ride back from Magnolia Harbor to Marblehead Harbor.

There was no chance for WOT so I couldn't confirm the jack plate height is where it needs to be.

Vjvtc6q.jpg

I need a new prop though and will posted a couple of questions in the motor forum.

6BP0kvl.jpg

The Lowrance Elite 5 HDI works great. The only thing that bothered it was seaweed on the transducer. This seems to be just right for height and tilt

YXZaYrv.jpg

9pWYNrR.jpg

FCWVh6b.jpg

Skiff

You did a killer job on that boat.

Just a note on the alodine. It is not a plating or coating. It doesn't add any thickness. It is more of a chemical conversion of the existing metal. (turns it gold colored) I have experience with it from my days as a defense contractor designer. We would use it for aluminum housings on electro-mechanical products. It is good under paint too for aluminum applications. Not so good for the person doing the actual work. :LOL2:

If it were me, I would go with the occasional cleaning like you did.

Thanks Sonny - I know it's bad stuff - but when converted the aluminum will not corrode. It's on the back burner for a while anyway. I did design a containment if I were to do the bilge and got a cost on disposal - less than $200 - so not too bad. I did some small tests but not happy with results......... knowing the area below welded deck cannot be properly prepped.

Anyway - a couple of things I did that I'm not happy with:

1. Limber holes / channels in bench seat. I used 2.5 inch PVC cut in 1/4 for corners and 1/2 in the middle to drain front deck. They are too small, easily clogged and need to be routed out to clear seaweed, etc. I should have used 4 or 6 inch.

2. Lights. The blue LED voltage instrument light is way too bright at night. The Nav lights reflect off the bow anchor rollers and the anchor light reflects from the windshield.

On the other hand - the boat has caught fish and is A LOT of fun.

N4ms7d7.jpg

Just a quick update.

I changed the prop from the Quicksilver 14 X13 to a 14 X12 SS Vengeance. It's an older one with pressed hub - but brand new in the box. It was cheap - considering what current models cost.

Was hoping to see a little better top end RPM. Ran it today and didn't see any difference. Trimmed well WOT 5400 RPM and ~ 28 mph.

Might as well get a Turning Point 14 x 13 and stop messing around. We got some flatties in Salem Harbor. Yum.

I'll post the Vengeance for sale here in the next few days. It's a 15 spline.

Update

I just put on a Turning Point 14 X13 cupped prop. I used a Flo-Torq III hub. Replaced the thrust plate also.

There is a remarkable improvement....

1. Shifting into gear is smoooooth ... no clunk, no rattle.
2. Gained over 200 RPM. @ WOT throttle it's doing better than 5600 RPM. It's now "in specification"
3. Hole shot is much better. It get's up on plane in less than 10 seconds and top RPM in several seconds more.
4. Top speed is a little better - 29 mph averaged at best trim / no ventilation.

I think that's pretty good for a 15 year old 40 HP pushing > 1,200 pounds of boat, gear and people!

We did 40 miles today. Much of it at cruise / 23 mph 4900 RPM in light chop. Filled the tank.... looks like > 8 miles per gallon.

If weather holds tomorrow we're going to do a trip down the back side of Plum Island. Saw bait there today - but too late to pursue and threat of T Boomers.

FWIW -

The Quicksilver SS Vengeance 14 X 12 w/ pressed hub 15 spline is in the classifieds at a really good price [what I paid]