My 10' Gamefisher build/work in progress.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beginnerfisherman81 said:
your boat is coming out very nice. I have a question for you thought you said in one of your posts that you caulked up the seams at the bottom what did you use because i would like to seal the seams on my 12 ft also just to make me feel better when i take it out. thanks

I used 3M 5200 There were no seam leaks but I lined the seams with this just for peace of mind. It takes about a week to fully cure which is the only downfall. There is a quick cure version but I'm not sure on the cure times.

DJBombar, The bed liner on the bottom is holding up great! I beach it on gravely shorelines all the time. Most of the ponds I go to don't have a tie up dock at the boat ramp so I usually beach it while I go grab my truck/trailer. I only put on one good coat and it seems to be holding up great, I'll probably hit it with a second/last coat once the season ends just for extra durability.

Trueblue, Thank you! I actually wanted regular grey seats at first to match my boats original grey interior but the Walmart location that I went to only had one in stock and there wasn't another one that had them locally. So I bought these, painted the boat to match 'em and I'm happy I did!

If you can't find the seats you want, try ordering them from Bass Pro Shops. They're more pricey but I'm pretty sure they have the same style seats last time I was there. Or you could always improvise and paint your boat to go along with the other color seats! Either way good luck! Post a pic of what seats ya get!

Thanks for all the kind comments so far everyone! I actually got a nice comment on the boat the other day while fueling up my truck before going to a new pond. Made me pretty happy! Wish the fish liked the boat as much because I didn't catch any that day. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
Mike

Figured I'd update the thread with a few new pics. The boat and motor did great all season, used it up until November before winterizing and putting away for the winter.

I ended up picking up a fish finder for it, only got to use it a couple of times before the season ended but it was nice to get to know the water depth, contour and such of my usual lakes/ponds (which is why I wanted it). It's an older model but is great as it has both bottom and side view transducers. It's a Fishin' Buddy 2200 by Bottom Line, not the best quality or high tech fish finder but it does the trick and I like that it's portable so I don't need to bring along a battery (excess weight) or drill a hole for my boat. It mounts to the side of the boat via a bracket similar to a trolling motor and can slide out of the bracket for quick removal which I like.

fishinbuddy.jpg

Here's the boat framed up for shrink wrap, sure the frame is overkill but why not? :LOL2: I figured I'd make it extra sturdy and just reuse it next winter. Thinking of trying to fit the Johnson 115 or Mariner 175 in the background on the boat next spring, good idea? :roll: :mrgreen:

shrink1.jpg

Cut to size and ready for heat.

shrink5.jpg

Finished product with cross ventilation vents and all! haha.

shrink3.jpg

She's nice and snug for the winter! Can't wait until spring!

Also picked up a 6hp Johnson for the boat for next season, over the winter I'm going to bring it into the shop and do a complete mechanical and cosmetic restore on it. Keeping the Merc 2.2hp as well as a spare. Next spring the floor/carpet will go in, I was too backed up with projects this season. #-o

Thanks for looking!
Mike

I like your Gamefisher. Up until this summer, I had a 12' Gamefisher with a 3.9hp Mercury on it. That thing would go 6mph no mater how much weight you put in it. How much is this shrink wrap stuff that you used?

JMichael said:
I like your Gamefisher. Up until this summer, I had a 12' Gamefisher with a 3.9hp Mercury on it. That thing would go 6mph no mater how much weight you put in it. How much is this shrink wrap stuff that you used?

Thanks for the comments! and yea mine moved alone very nicely with just the 2.2hp so I can only imagine the 6hp... Might have to break out the wakeboard! haha just kidding.

About the shrink wrap, I go to college for Marine Service Technician certification so I just brought it in and shrink wrapped it using the schools supplies. You can buy it yourself in rolls but would need a high heat propane torch or a ryepac gun (not like the ones you'd use around the house to shrink wire tubing or anything haha these things are pricey!) It's also very easy to blow a hole through the material if you're not familiar with it. This came out great because I've done several of them, my first few boats I did weren't wrapped so pretty. :LOL2:

You can get your boat professionally wrapped at a marina/dealership etc for between $5-10 per foot (the normal price is usually around $7 per foot around here). It's more pricey than using a tarp but looks better, vents better and Reusable if you just cut the bands, and a slice down the back you can simply roll it off, take the frame apart and reuse it all next winter just retie the bands and tape up the slit. On larger boats you usually just get new shrink wrap every year but on such a small boat it's easy to roll and fold away the wrap for the summer.

If you have a Marine Tech school near you call them up, they usually do it for free or very cheap as part of training for the students, I'd call soon because right now is when they would be going over winterizing and shrink wrapping.

Thanks again for the kind words! Makes me happy to know I saved this boat from the scrap yard.

-Mike

=D> Hey Mizzie, you have answered my prayers! [-o< I have a 12 foot 1980 Blue Fin and have had so many questions that I could not visualize the end result. Man, you made that look sooo easy. I am just a week-end plunker when it comes to fishing and boating. Just learning to fish, but I soon realized ya' had to get on the water for some real fun. Anyway, your ideas are great and not to involved...especially for me. I like the size. I am goning to use only a trolling motor for my get around girl and as you know space and weight are a commodity. By the way , did I say that I liked your set-up? :mrgreen: What did you do for your stern compartments? And here is a question for ya or anybody else...how are you holding your fish? Meaning, I don't plan on using a livewell and am curious about what you use and where yu are placing your catch? Drop a picture of your holding or bucket placement! Would ya please...or any body else with a 12 footer! #-o

Thank you so much for your comments! My build is a joke compared to most of the boats on this site but it's perfect for what I wanted. thanks for the props on the setup! I do plan to put a carpeted floor and some storage in the spring as well which should make it look a bit nicer. I don't plan to put a casting deck on it because being a 10' vhull it would probably be to tippy standing on a high deck. a low floor will be fine though, the boat itself is surprisingly stable I can stand & fish without issues.

About a live well, I just catch & release because al of my local lakes aren't really the cleanest lakes out there.. If I were to need a live well I'd probably just get a decent size cheap cooler and buy a portable aerator. Simple and cheap and it can second as a seat, foot rest or cutting board/table Haha.

Can't wait to see your build! Did you make a thread for it yet? Good luck & have fun.

Mike

Mizzie said:
Thank you so much for your comments! My build is a joke compared to most of the boats on this site but it's perfect for what I wanted. thanks for the props on the setup! I do plan to put a carpeted floor and some storage in the spring as well which should make it look a bit nicer. I don't plan to put a casting deck on it because being a 10' vhull it would probably be to tippy standing on a high deck. a low floor will be fine though, the boat itself is surprisingly stable I can stand & fish without issues.

About a live well, I just catch & release because al of my local lakes aren't really the cleanest lakes out there.. If I were to need a live well I'd probably just get a decent size cheap cooler and buy a portable aerator. Simple and cheap and it can second as a seat, foot rest or cutting board/table Haha.

Can't wait to see your build! Did you make a thread for it yet? Good luck & have fun.

Mike

Looking Good Mizzie - Per our previous conversation, I almost found out how sensative this boat is when my fish finder started to slide on one day and when I bent over in my seat to grab for it, the boat tipped until the top of the gunnel was even with the water. I think this is inherant in a lot of the small semi Vs. Be careful.
I have a cooler that just fits sideways between the front and back seat. It sits against the side of the boat and gives me plenty room to get between the front and back seat. In Texas a lot of us forgo the livewell in the summer and put the fish right on ice. I also got a cheap, round water cooler that I would like to convert to use for shad this year.

Will a 6 hp work? I know that it is only rated for 5hp and below. Maybe a 6hp in a 2 cycle?

Interesting, surprisingly I've yet to complain about the stability of mine. Not as stable as my old flat bottom but I can stand up in the middle & cast without worrying about falling in Haha standing up towards the bow is a little more tipsy Haha. But I usually don't stand up unless I'm spotting fish or something, I reach over the side to pull anchor or pull in fish all the time I'm a good 210lbs and the side with my weight on it still stays a decent amount above the water. It sits higher in the water then my old 12' flat bottom did! Haha

If I remember correctly you have a twin of my boat but with higher mounted seats? may be that your seat pedestals are to high? I thought about getting 7" pedestals but decide to mount my swivels directly to the benches to keep center of gravity lower.

About the 6hp. an external tank 2-stroke 6 is certainly lighter than a four stroke 5hp so I'm not worried about it Haha. I just rebuilt the transom mount this season but will probably beef it up a little more come spring so I don't get any flex back there. There is center and corner braces along with the transom wood I believe it's more than sturdy enough 1hp shouldn't sink her Haha (knock on wood).

Any new floor or storage mods? Ever decided if you're removing the center bench yet?

-Mike

I am still thinking about removing my center seat but I like going back to a basic jon boat when ever I have the need. I am thinking about making my little bow shelf permanent and foam filling it so I can remove the center seat but still keep my floatation. If I do that, I will go back to my short post for the seat and I will probably keep it on a removeable slide. Now both my seats are mounted to the bench seats with slides and they are easily removeable. I might build a removeable bench seat from the old bench seat, so that I can use it as a basic jon boat on occasions. I don't see that I would gain anything by removing the rear seat.

I like my wood slat floor. It is light and keeps my stuff dry. I also like the slat shelf in front. I may build an aluminum box for the slat shelf to rest on to hold the foam. I also need a niche under the shelf for my battery.

I used my boat for 4 years and did not question it's stability until one day when I had to lean to one side suddenly with my hand on the gunnel. I weigh 180 lbs and the sudden shift to one side with my weight on the gunnel almost put me in the water so I got rid of the 7" post. I have no doubt that a casting deck would be out of the question. I think that I would be okay with the 7" post if it were fastened to the bottom of the boat. I am still thinking.

Enjoy your boat this spring. It looks good. I am lucky enough that I will use mine a few times this winter. I just have to be careful to stay out of the cold water. Where I fish mostly is within sight of an attended gate house so help is close by if I need it. I keep a whistle and a small air horn in my life vest.

Hey Mizzie, I'm thinking bout using truck bedliner on the bottom on my 12 footer also. How did your's hold up and what brand or kind did you use? Your build still does awe me! =D>

Thanks for your comment. I don't consider this to be an awe worthy boat compared to the other builds on here which make my little boat look like a joke haha. But she's mine and she finds the fish so it makes me happy.

I used Rustoleum truck bed liner which has a smoother texture so there's no drag like with some of the thick chunky kind of bed liner paints. It's held up great and I only put on one coat. Before I bought the little boat trailer I used to have to beach the the boat and basically drag it up the bank, slide it into my utility trailer and it still looks fine. I also have had to scrape over some submerged logs and such when creeping into shallow coves/sandbars and all and haven't had a problem.

A few of the guys on here are against using bed liner and I understand their dislike if you're using it to try to seal leaky rivets since that's only a band aid but if your rivets are all good and you just want some extra protection it's good stuff.

Thanks again for your compliments on the boat! :D

Mike

Thanks! I too like the stance of it in the water! haha. For the little 2.2hp it certainly moves! I recently picked up a 6hp for the boat so that should be fun! Hanging on to the 2.2 as well as she's been good to me!

For anyone interested... Here's a short video of the 2.2hp outboard on my boat pushing myself (210lbs) and a passanger (I'd say around 160lbs) along with some gear, on a rather big lake. Obviously won't be pulling any skiiers :LOL2: but it's not as slow as I orginally expected before I first took it out. When it's just me it moves a bit better. I'll post a vid with the 6hp sometime this spring.

Video starts off just chugging along but I 'open it up' a few seconds in.

https://youtu.be/iVYU-J_4TEs

[youtube]https://youtu.be/iVYU-J_4TEs[/youtube]

Hey nicely executed restore/buiid! Dont know how I missed this post... I have a similar fishfinder, its the fishinbuddy140c, and im thinking of mounting the bracket permenantly as it has mounting holes for that. Have you thought about that? Im also thinking about some bungee/velcro or clips to store it when undrway....What/where on the boat do you keep yours when moving?

Thanks for your comments on the boat! About the fish finder. I found it easiest to completely take the fish finder out of the mount when in motion. I had it mounted near the oar locks on my boat so it can easily be seen from both seats.

I just left the bracket blanked on and took the fish finder itself and put it inside the boat when in motion because when in motion the transducer shaft drags in the water and puts stress on the shaft and bracket. I didn't make anything to hold the fish finder out of the way yet but now that you brought it up i am going to because it sounds like a good idea!

Off hand I think maybe some Velcro steps on the inside side of the boat (like those used for fishing rods). Or maybe some hook brackets of some sort. The shrink wrap will be coming off my boat soon so I'll think up a mounting idea and post pics of it.

Thanks,
Mike

I just picked up a Fishinbuddy 120 a few weeks ago. Have either of you done anything about using an external power source? I'm just finishing up the cosmetics of mine (trying to make my mod look a little cleaner). :D I adapted it to hook up to a small lead acid rechargeable 8ah 12v battery I got from Cabella's so I don't have to keep taking it apart to replace the internal AA's or buying AA batteries. I left it so I can still run it with AA's in the future if I ever need to though. I plan to buy a dual purpose battery to run my starter, nav lights, etc in the future so I'll probably end up connecting to that one and do away with the small 8ah battery in the near future.

External power source is a good idea I may have to consider that as well.

I'm getting anxious to take the cover off for the winter and begin modding but winter has been in full swing here this month! Hopefully sometime in March things will settle down. On the subject of batteries.... I am planning to add some permanent mount navigation lights as one of my first mods this season. I used to use the portable 'flashlight' clamp-on style bow and stern lights (like you would find on an inflatable) whenever I was out after sunset. Now I want to do something permanent mount that is ready to go with just a flip of a switch and looks better.

I really don't want to add a big deep cycle battery for such a low draw. So I'm going to figure out a lighter battery option and probably mount it somewhere in the bow to help level the boat out when I'm on it alone. If I do just decide to go with a deep cycle, I may add a small low gph bilge pump just for good measure and to make use of the larger battery. There's been a few times when caught out in the heavy rain with a long ride back in where a bilge pump would have been nice. I always keep a hand bailer on the boat just incase but I'm getting lazier lately! haha

Can't wait to get to get back on the lake, this snow has overstayed its welcome! :LOL2:

Mike

For lights and bilge, you dont need a deep cycle battery... There is an active post on batteries just for running accessories, not trolling motors. These are much smaller in size and weight, and are usually sealed so they wont leak and can be used in different positions...

I've been thinking about trying a battery like my riding mower uses. It powers the starter on an 18hp mower engine so I'm wondering if that would be enough for my 20hp outboard starter and nav lights. I don't have a bilge pump installed yet but that's included in future plans also. I guess I'll pull the one off the mower for test purposes this spring and if it works ok, I'll just buy one for the boat.