My 14 foot Flats Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloGrownFlats

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I live in Fort Myers, Florida and I'm new here but just recently finished my jon boat to flats boat mod.. I got a boat without title or registration from my uncle who received it as a gift. So, I started with a bare 14 foot flat bottom shell, it had a terribly done front deck that was warped and rotted so bad, I didn't trust it enough set a quarter on it. I didn't take too many pictures of it before because I didn't find this site til I was around a quarter of the way through. I just recently graduated in May, and between full time work and getting my stuff ready for college, I still managed to finish my project boat.
The first step was to rip off the old deck and get the rusted to hell , broken screws out of the rail of my boat. once I did that, I pressure washed the inside and out. and started the old paint stripping. I used some quick strip to take off the first 5 layers of camo the previous owners had put on it. man was that a joy. Me and my cousin then took 2 grinders with light wire wheel brushes to it, he did the rivets with a cup brush while I did the rest of the boat with a bigger brush, Next I went to a body and paint shop and bought some self etching rose primer made by Matrix systems and primed it lightly, just a quart laid down a nice enough layer to paint over. I picked up some BLP marine & industrial paint in the custom color I wanted at a local hardware store. At 106$ a gallon it's hardly cheap , but it was well worth every penny I paid. I have a spray canister gun so I sprayed the primer on (a nice thin layer) and then sprayed my paint around 48 hours later. I let the paint sit and cure for a few days before clear coating it. and man was I impressed at the product I got.

Then the fun work began. I used 3/4 inch plywood, and started the build for my front casting deck. I first spray gunned polyurethane onto my plywood, I did around 6 or 7 thick coats to each side of it. I worked in a marina repairing boats before and have had a little experience with owners underusing their polyurethane and I didn't want my deck rotting like I had seen on some of those boats, so I went really heavy. I cut out a cardboard template and transferred it to the plywood after it had dried a few days. little skill saw action and it fit perfect the first try. did the same for the back, ran some 2x4 runners with strong ties into the side underneath the lip of my bench seat and the factory front deck. After picking up an 18 foot by 8 foot section of marine carpet and the glue to match, at The Home Depot for 118$ (what a steal) I carpeted both and screwed the decks down to the runners. It came out really good if I don't say so myself.

In the mid section of the boat I cut some sheets of close celled foam to fit between my ribs and laid them in, then used one sheet of 1/2 inch plywood and cut it to fit. I used some 1x2's and used them as runners, braced them in and screwed the plywood to that after carpeting. It was tested with 2 men around 280 pounds each and held up fine. I masked all my carpet off and anything visible was sprayed a matte black with some rattle can automotive paint..

Next was the building of the console. I wanted a radio, switch panel and livewell so I found my livewell dimension and built I box to the dimensions of it, yet with the back rest and seat as high as a regular plastic lawn chair. my seat was the hatch for my livewell also. It will be cushioned and hinged so that I can have someone sit on it, and still be able to open and put bait/fish in. saved me some space up front :wink: I sprayed the console to match my carpet and mounted everything in, wired it all up and finished off my boat.
Now the really fun work on modifying my galvanized jet ski trailer to fit the boat begins. I will be able to post step by step pictures for that now that I know of this site :D

Thanks for reading everyone. Hope this will give some ideas or help of some sort. I ko its been a fun process for me to watch it grow into a kick *** boat!
PS: Pics soon, just cant figure them out yet :cry:

first set of pics =D>

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (6).jpeg
    image (6).jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (9).jpeg
    image (9).jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (10).jpeg
    image (10).jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (11).jpeg
    image (11).jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (12).jpeg
    image (12).jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (13).jpeg
    image (13).jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (14).jpeg
    image (14).jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (15).jpeg
    image (15).jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (16).jpeg
    image (16).jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,782
  • image (17).jpeg
    image (17).jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,782
Hi Flo. Welcome to Tinboats. Great to have another FL guy in the house. I'm up the road a bit in Tallahassee. I converted my old 14' semi v-hull tinny into a tiller, flats skiff sorta thing. She's nothing pretty, but gets me there and back again. Can't wait to follow your progress. We love the pics ;)

Okay wow. I got so mixed up in life, with moving into a place of my own, getting my boat and everything over there, starting college, and getting a new job, that I had to put this project on hold for a few months. And when I got back to it, I didn't even think to take pics for progress posts on here. However, I have finished it, just need to throw the livewell in and she'll be ready to roll. Although I have already taken her on some redfish and snook stalking trips in skinny water. I just put my cooler in the back and bungee my push pole down. Standing on top of the cooler to pole took a lot of practice to not push myself off the top but its well worth it to save my self 1 or 2 thousand dollars by not getting a custom built poling platform for it.

All in all I'm pretty fond of her, built everything from the ground up myself, stripped the old paint to bare metal, primered, painted, carpeted. Everything. And now at 19 I have my own flats prowler. I catch a lot of crap from my buddies who like to use their parents fancy flats boat. And while they have 20 thousand dollar boats that they go all over gods creation in, I go maybe 1 mile all day, in just as shallow of water and every trip I have been on, caught more fish than any of them. The boat floats in around 6 inches of water even with all the heavy decks and motor weight and loaded down with fly fishing gear.

It'd be great to hear what y'all think and any hints or tips. Sorry for such a long delay. I guess that's life right?
Tight Lines.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,366
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,366
Cool project. Can't wait to see the finished product!! I have a 16' jon boat I fixed up. I need to post soon.
Good job and keep the pics coming!

She looks great Flo!!!! Never mind the haters. They're just jealous. Anyone can borrow mommy and daddy's boat, but that won't help them catch any fish and when and if something goes wrong they'll be clueless about what to do. Plus, you've increased the value in your boat, whereas theirs lost about 40% of its value the second they dove it off the lot. A new boat really is just about the worse investments you can make. Besides, your boat is unique and will get a lot more looks and thumbs up at the ramp than yet another generic, rich kid "microskiff". Don't get me wrong, they're cool boats. I wish I had one, but they guys that are into them are generally super d-bags. Congrats again on the new toy and school. Stay warm. GO NOLES!!!!

Latest posts