New guy here with my 1986 1648 Lowe Big Jon.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nohope

Reaction score
Here is my 1986 1648 Lowe Big Jon. This is my first serious boat project so I thought I would get some advice on paint and some other mods. It will mostly be used in saltwater. I had a sears gamefisher but sold it to buy this. The previous owner had some welding done to fix where it had some corrosion on the part that sits on the trailer runners. After a couple fishing trips I found out that It had electrolysis starting on bottom again so I sanded the whole bottom down to the bare metal with 60 grit and coated it with a whole gallon of rustoleum truck bedliner. After trying to get some off the boat side where it dripped I am convinced that it will last a while. Now I cant decide what color to paint the rest of the boat. I can get tractor and implement paint pretty easily from a local hardware store. Just cant find any O.D Green. All they have that would look good to me is ford grey and battleship grey.1113111646.jpg1107110656.jpg

Attachments

• !cid__downsize.jpg
    !cid__downsize.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,846
mmmm.....this project must not be unique enough to draw a reponse........... :? .thats ok Im still proud of it............lol =D>

nohope said:
mmmm.....this project must not be unique enough to draw a reponse........... :? .thats ok Im still proud of it............lol =D>

Nah... if most are like me, I've been away from the computer and on the lake. You've got a great rig, and I hope the bedliner stuff works out for you.

Here's a couple discussions on the green paint I found using the "Search" feature in the top right corner.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23636

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19739

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22793

thanks guys. I come from a commercial fishing family and was raised on homemade wood skiffs. When I got married I lost interest in boats. Now Ive got the bug again only this time this boat is not to earn a living It is just for fishing and maybe gathering a few oysters when I feel the need. future mods include a casting deck,live well and some storage. on a budget so it will be slow..lol

Nice looking boat you have there. I was never satisfied with the duck boat paint at Cabelas. It was so flat that if you rubbed it or wiped it there would be a mark. I went to Sherwin-Williams and had the paint matched but used low sheen instead. It looks really good and won't mark. Check out my threads on the build and updates. My boat is almost the same as yours only I think mine is older. Good luck.

yep I thought about that already. If I dont find a good deal on the green I will get some gray and maybe a stripe :D

Here is some more progress on the big jon. I ruffed the sides and insides down with 120 grit and repainted the same color. Our local walmart carries the rustoleum camo paint and it has a picture of a jon boat on the can so maybe it will last at leat 2-3 years. This is all I have done so far. This boat probably wont measure up to some of the other projects on here because I am on a strict budget so look for some cool inexpensive mods in the future.
I will post some pics of the bottom up close when I get the time.

Attachments

• lowe jon boat.jpg
    lowe jon boat.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,534
Looking good, keep at it.

I'd be tempted to paint the inside a khaki color, to keep it cooler in the summer. Take a look at Grizzly Grip and their aliphatic non slip coating for when you get some decking in there. Nice thing about it doesn't absorb water and it's a wash and rinse finish.

Consider at least doing a floor deck with plywood at least. You'll be glad when you're not stumbling over those ribs. I'd love to have that boat. 1648 is a good size and lots of potential there.

Nice boat and it has a lot of potential. Sometimes I wish I would have found a boat like that so I could start from scratch moding it. Mine was already moded, & I have still done things to it. I also know about the budget thing.

You should get a lot of enjoyment out of your boat.

Thanks guys, Ive already put a carpeted over plywood false bottom in it. This is just temporary until I find a good deal on some aluminum. I plan on building a casting deck and a live well sometime this winter. I need to stay conservative on the weight cause I only have 15 hp yama 4 stroke. I dont to waste all summer modding and not fishing so I will be putting numbers on it and putting new trex decking(wont rott) skids on the trailer next.

Awesome boat nohope. I am totally jealous. I wish my boat was a little bigger, as she's only a 15'. I am in Hampstead. Where do you fish, or plan on fishing mostly? I go behind Bald Head sometimes, and as far north as Swansboro.

DearJon said:
Awesome boat nohope. I am totally jealous. I wish my boat was a little bigger, as she's only a 15'. I am in Hampstead. Where do you fish, or plan on fishing mostly? I go behind Bald Head sometimes, and as far north as Swansboro.
I mostly fish in the lockfolly river and shallotte river. We trout fished mostly this past winter in the Lockwood folly. I sold a 14ft sears Gamefisher v bottom to buy this boat. The v-bottom was like being in a barrel cut in half. It was just not stable enough for me. Its cool to have someone as close as hamstead on here to chat with about these alumimun boats. I just plan on geting mine back in the water before the flounder stop bitting and definitly before spot season.

I need to put the boat back on the trailer so I want have to bend over so much ( bad back ) but want to replace the skids because they are treated wood covered in carpet. This is what caused the corrosion in the first place. Any Ideas on what to use? I found some of that synthetic deck boards like lowes sells in a construction dumpster....lol... but I am open to any suggestions.

I really like your boat. GREAT size.

As for the bunks, folks have used everything from old snow skis (neat idea) to some super slippery plastic stuff, to...?

For the time being, I'd say just replace the wood and re-carpet. With the work you've done on the bottom, it will be a loooong time before you have any corrosion issues. It has worked on millions of boats for many, many years. You can always change to something you like at a later date.

For future reference, look up "implement paint," with hardener...made for farm equipment and the like.

Have fun, be safe.
:)

got the boat back on the trailer and put new numbers on it...........wont be long now..just gotta put the motor back on it and all the usual accesseries..pole holders,fire exting....etc..going to modify as we enjoy it cause I dont want to waste good fishing time now..lol

Attachments

• !cid__downsize.jpg
    !cid__downsize.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 243