New member with new boat. Long time lurker..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it looks like I don't need to look for another boat after all.

Talked with my mother this evening and she and her husband are selling their 2006 Lund 1850 16 foot.

I won't receive delivery of it till spring as they want to continue using it till end of year. But I got my little boat to
play with for now. Ohh and I'm buying that NICE boat from her with the 35h outboard for 2500 bucks. VERY nice deal
as its decked out nicely. Boats worth est's at 7 grand.

I hope she will send me some snaps soon so that I can post them.

In the mean time I gota little boat that needs TLC.

Thanks
Ryan

That my friend, is very, very cool. My dad's trying to talk me into taking over his '83 28' Chris Craft so he can get a sailboat.

At least with the new boat you get a solid hull that you won't have to worry about. Plus you can tinker with the little one and wet a rod.

Jamie

Decided to do a bit of work on the boat tonight, brought home some 2x2's and some ply to test some ideas to make the boat a bit more solid.

Here's the result mind you the 2x10 in the center is just scrap and is there for testing only.

PICT0022.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

The idea is to build a basic rib and runner tie it all together ( thank god for fasten-all ) then level it out from the bottom up using semi rigid foam
and then put the decking on. Pressure would keep it all nice and tight and the floor will be SO much more solid adding to the boats stability.

I talked this over with a guy here in town that used to repair boats he thinks the idea is solid in theory and should make the boat ride better so we will find out.

BTW materials costs.. Somehow this day I was a winner of the prices right, I got 12 2x2's 2 sheets of 3/4 ply and 2 2x4's and spent only 60 bucks.
Normally here the ply alone is 38 bucks a sheet. Happy day....

Tomorrow I pickup the fasteners I need, another 2x10 for the runner and a 2x12 for my seats, and then mock it up some more if it all fits like I want I'll seal it good
and put the new decking on it by this weekend.

Thanks
Ryan

Have you considered a rib and stringer configuration? make the ribs out of 2x4's or 2x6's stood on end and cut to match the hull every 18", then notched for 2x2 stringers every 12-16" (keel and at least two others on each side). Leave a drainage trail down each side of the keel board then screw everything together in the boat. Then pull it out and give the whole wooden structure a coat of epoxy or wood sealer before gluing it back into the hull with a bunch of weifght to make sure it sticks well. With 18" OC you could get away with 1/2" plywood as well.

A single 2x10 doesn't give you much torsional resistance vs. a web of stringers and ribs. Look at the glass boats and how they are constructed.

Jamie

Well if you saw my post in the watering hole earlier I went fishing and caught nothing, winds too high to do anything.. HOWEVER.. The good lord
decided that the wind should stop about 4 hours ago.. So I was able to get some work done on the boat.

BTW I didn't get pics as I forgot my camera when we stripped the boat and painted it on Friday and Sat.

As you remember the boat started out looking like this.

2010-07-27_20-17-06_697.jpg

But I decided that I don't like silver and blue. (btw I'm putting a blue streak back on the boat just haven't gotten back to it as my paint helper
wasn't available today.)

So the boat now looks like this..

PICT0026.JPG

I also got part of my new decking put in the carpet isn't permanent its just for fitting. I ordered marine carpet and glue on Friday.
I also started making some simple storage box's and areas as seen below.

PICT0027.JPG

PICT0028.JPG

PICT0029.JPG

The wood I used for the box's I'm putting in is recycled from my shops cabinets hehe.. Its good wood. and it was free.
But I'll get everything fitted this week then take it out and sand and prime, seal and paint.
There are no pics of the bow of the boat as there's nothing to show yet.
I also was able to find a guy that had parts from that old cruise n carry 6800, so I ordered as new starter setup, water pump and primer bulb.

Had a guy stop by this evening and offered me 750 for the boat and trailer if I at least finish the floor, I told him bring me cash tomorrow and he's got a deal. AS IS NO RETURNS..

As I'm getting that nice LUND in Spring from my mother, I still need a small water boat, so if the guy shows up with cash.
I'll just go pick up my uncle 1997 Crestliner 1448 he used for duck hunting but doesn't hunt ducks anymore.
He only wants 1250 for the boat, trailer, and minn 55lb thrust 24 volt troller.

Well that's the update.. thanks for looking..

Ryan

Just a small update.. I do still have the boat. Guy never came back lol..

I am working on it slowly, life is getting in the way of my fishing time and boat time..
I ordered carpet the other day, got it to the door and its now sitting in my offices shop, waiting for time to be put in.
I STILL haven't got a gas motor yet, but I guess it will come in time.

The method I used to "build" ribs and stringers into the boat worked out nicely. I did get a chance last weekend to epoxy and fiberglass them to give it more strength.

I welded the broken and or cracked areas up a week ago, they look like new, all grinded down.

Thanks for the kind words..

Ryan

Short update, 2 weeks ago I picked up 3 older Hiawatha outboards for 10 bucks a piece, 2 10hp's and a 18hp.
Been working on them to clean them up and get them running.

Haven't spent much time on the boat itself, fall trout fishing is just to fun to pass up :)

Ryan