Outboard motor controls- compatibility

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAABologist

Reaction score
I don't know much about controls for outboards.
I have an old Mariner (yamaha) 40EL from 1987 and am looking for used 4-stroke motors.
My question is about compatability of the control cables and throttle/shifter.

Would my existing controls work on a newer 4-stroke 40 or 50 hp?
Are the controls for different makes (yamaha, honda, mercury) compatible?

Thanks.

Depends on the control manufacturer. The issues mainly are push or pull to fwd gear and push or pull to advance throttle? Engine manufacturers are different in that regard. Some control manufacturers are generic and will accept both. You will have to do your own research on this one.

Does it have a Yamaha 703 style control box? I think you can take them apart and reverse the throttle push/pull mechanism. Yamaha reversed it sometime in the 90's I think. I would imagine you could probably make it work with a newer Yamaha with some fiddling. I doubt it would work with other manufacturers though. A lot probably depends on the "stroke" length of the remote cable.

Stroke length is pretty universal (couple variations) as is trunnion to engagement pin. There is more than one pin location in the universal control boxes but you pretty much have to have the install manual and follow it to be safe. I will not attempt to tell someone how to hook it up on here for safety reasons.

Stroke length is pretty universal (couple variations) as is trunnion to engagement pin. There is more than one pin location in the universal control boxes but you pretty much have to have the install manual and follow it to be safe. I will not attempt to tell someone how to hook it up on here for safety reasons.
Pappy, is that because you could have a runaway throttle?

Wanting to learn how outboards work-I have a pretty good grasp of carbureted engines.

Thank you!

No. When it comes to throttle and steering items, these are absolute safety items. I refuse to guess and give advice when I am not absoutely sure of what I am saying. I would encourage anyone else to do the same. I know there are universal controls, that there are differences, however minor, in throws and that there are the already mentioned differences in whether an engine manufacturer is a push or pull for throttle and shift. No way do I have all of this in my head!

Generally, you want to stick with the same brand controller as engine. Sometimes they will work with newer engines, sometimes not.

Nowadays, you can get a new control box on Amazon or Ebay for about $200. Worth it, if you have a nice motor and no controller for it.

Thanks all, learning a lot. I didn't realize they are not that expensive. "new control box on Amazon or Ebay for about $200."
Probably best to get a new control box if the used motor doesn't include them.

Generally, you want to stick with the same brand controller as engine. Sometimes they will work with newer engines, sometimes not.

Nowadays, you can get a new control box on Amazon or Ebay for about $200. Worth it, if you have a nice motor and no controller for it.
Are the new non-oem ones actually any good? I've been looking for some used Yamaha controls for my 1988 30hp but most are pretty junky or expensive.