Power outages

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago we had a derecho come through. I didn't even know what one was before we had one. We lost power for 7 days and roads were unpassable. Those who ventured out carried chainsaws and there were groups of strangers meeting at fallen trees and clearing the roads. We didn't have a generator.

It took us about a day to cut our way to a main road and we started looking for a place to buy a generator. We had to drive about 70 miles because everyone in the county was also out looking for generators. Everywhere we stopped, they were sold out. A couple of places told us there was some sort of storm "down south". Of course, we were driving north and the storm "down south" was us.

It was worth the drive. Saved the food in the fridge, we could run the well pump to get showers (even if they were cold), and we had a few lights we could use at night. Fortunately, I already had 6 gas cans - which we also took with us north and filled up before we headed back home.

The point? Get a generator and a stockpile of gas before you need one.

LDUBS said:
Is it a big job to do the transfer switch for a generator? Is it best left to a qualified electrician?

When my parents got a whole house generator I poured the pad it sits on and plumbed the gas line.
I have a lot of experience with electrical wiring, putting in the 20 and 30 amp circuits for my dads wood working shop.
When it came to the transfer switch I left that to a professional.
With the internet and youtube it might not be that bad now days.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
LDUBS said:
Is it a big job to do the transfer switch for a generator? Is it best left to a qualified electrician?

When my parents got a whole house generator I poured the pad it sits on and plumbed the gas line.
I have a lot of experience with electrical wiring, putting in the 20 and 30 amp circuits for my dads wood working shop.
When it came to the transfer switch I left that to a professional.
With the internet and youtube it might not be that bad now days.

Thanks. I did look online. I know electrical wiring basics but I think this would be one thing that I would be better leaving to the pro's.