Power trim?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronbedard57

Reaction score
I run a 60's vintage 40hp Johnson on a 14' Arkansas Traveler aluminum double cockpit runabout. The transom is narrow, so there's not much flotation aft. I moved the battery forward to improve the trim, but it still takes a while to get on plane when there are passengers in the rear cockpit. I can manually trim the motor all the way down when I know there'll be four of us, but I'd like to be able to make that adjustment on the fly. I had trim tabs on a previous boat, and I think that might work here, but I wonder if anyone has experience of power trim for a motor of that vintage.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 0
There are some used PT&T available on eBay but not for a 1960's vintage. The one pictured below is for a late '70s of your HP range. Probably wishful thinking that a power tilt/trim unit from a '70's Johnson would fit your 60's model. In addition to the CMC one mentioned above, Bass Pro Shop offers one by Marine Tech that is a couple hundred less.

PTT.png

I’ll second the suggestion to stick with OEM tilt and trim. The aftermarket solutions like CMC are heavy and they place the motor farther astern so balance trim would become even more of an issue. Plus it’s an ugly solution for that nice looking boat

I’ll second the suggestion to stick with OEM tilt and trim. The aftermarket solutions like CMC are heavy and they place the motor farther astern so balance trim would become even more of an issue. Plus it’s an ugly solution for that nice looking boat

Problem is, and I hope I'm wrong , I don't think they made PT&T until the 70's. Might be able to make one fit given enough parts from a later model donor motor. Seems like a tall order though.

think I'll install passive trim tabs in the spring. Short money compared to any of the powered options. Had'em before, and they worked pretty well. These newer ones have a pin that can lock them flat for when you don't need them quite so badly.
Thanks all.

Latest posts